After saying I would eventually get one, for more years than I care to count, I pulled the trigger tonight and bought my first Mac: the 15″ MacBook Pro.
Isn’t it lovely? This is the newly announced version with the Multi-Touch trackpad, an Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor (256MB of video memory), and the new Penryn processor.
Here are my MBP’s specs:
• Processor 065-7730 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
• Display 065-7449 MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy WS
• Memory 065-7443 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM – 2×1GB
• Hard Drive 065-7451 250GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
• Optical Drive 065-7453 SuperDrive 8x DL
• Modem 065-7456 None
• REMOTE 065-7463 None
• Apple Software – iWork 065-7672 No iWork Preinstalled
• Apple Software – Final Cut Exp 065-7674 No Final Cut Exp Preinstalled
• Apple Software – Aperture 065-7673 No Aperture Preinstalled
• Apple Software – Logic Express 065-7675 No Logic Exp Preinstalled
• Keyboard/Mac OS Language 065-7459 BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS
• Country Kit/AEX 065-7241 Country Kit
According to the information I’ve been given, my MBP will ship by March 3 – March 5, and it will deliver by March 5 – March 10.
I would like to thank Vincent and Jerry for all of the coaxing and hand-holding…why do I sound as if I am accepting an award?, Mitchell,
I may install Windows, but I want to really give the Mac side a chance. I haven’t used a Mac since…the 80s! I am, for all intents and purposes, a complete and utter newbie. I am totally prepared to ask stupid questions that make those not-so-new to the platform cringe.
I am a little bit worried about the glossy screen, but Mitchell told me to just get it and shut up. Yessir!
Vincent traded his Mac Book Air for the 15″ MBP, and he tells me that he’s getting a solid five hours of battery life, possibly because of the new Penryn processor. This is a huge(!!) improvement over the 1.5 – 3 hours Mitchell and Chris Spera have reported with their MBPs.
I will upgrade the RAM following the steps outlined in Wayne’s money saving article, and other than that? I’ll figure it out as I go along.
And yes, I am well aware that I broke my own rule and bought a Mac without being able to do so at a local Mac store. Hopefully I will not have any service issues.
In the meantime, watch for a very gently used Toshiba X205 to make its appearance on eBay. I’ll miss it, but there just isn’t enough room on my desk for both…and I have to help pay for this thing somehow.
Update 03/03/08: It shipped today and I will have it on the 6th!