Tech, Autos, & Gear in Layman's Terms Since 2006

371

May 15, 2008 • Gear Bits

Unboxing the HTC Advantage 7510

This is going to be a much quicker unboxing than I usually like to do, mainly because it is almost 3am Texas time, and I have to be up in 5 hours to get ready for the next Mobius session. Anyway!

After our dinner tonight, Matt Miller, Ed Hardy, Joel Evans and I met up in Matt’s suite to geek out with our new HTC Advantage 7510s. I managed to capture the unboxing photos, which I wanted to take and post before I really started using the device tomorrow…

This picture of Matt is specifically for Mike Cane. 😉

I promise to post impressions soon, but right now I am just too tired. 😛

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

HTC Advantage X7500
HTC Advantage X7501
HTC Advantage X7510
Processor 624 MHz with ATi™ Graphic Chip W2284 624 MHz CPU with ATi™ Graphic Chip W2284 Marvell® PXA270 624 MHz with ATi™ Graphic Chip W2284
Operating System Windows Mobile® 5.0 Pocket PC Phone Edition Windows Mobile® 6 Professional Windows Mobile® 6 Professional
Memory ROM: 256 MB
RAM: 128 MB SDRAM
Microdrive 8GB
ROM: 256 MB
RAM: 128 MB SDRAM
Microdrive 8GB
ROM: 256MB
RAM: 128MB SDRAM
Flash: 16GB
Dimension 133.5 mm (L) x 98 mm (W) x 16 mm (T) Thickness with keyboard: 20 mm 133.5 mm (L) x 98 mm (W) x 16 mm (T)
Thickness with keyboard: 20 mm
133.5 mm (L) X 98 mm (W) X 16 mm (T)
Thickness with keyboard: 20 mm
Weight 359g (with battery) 359g (with battery) 375g (with battery)
Display 5″ transmissive TFT-LCD with backlight LEDs, touch-sensitive screen 5″ transmissive TFT-LCD with backlight LEDs, touch-sensitive screen 5-inch TFT-LCD with backlight LEDs, touch-sensitive screen
Network HSDPA/UMTS (2100 MHz for Europe, 850/1900 MHz for USA)
Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz (The device will operate on frequencies available from the cellular network)
HSDPA/UMTS (2100 MHz for Europe, 850/1900 MHz for USA)
HSDPA/WCDMA: 2100 MHz for Europe and 850/1900 MHz for USA, with up to 384 kbps upload and 1.8 Mbps download speeds
GSM/GPRS/EDGE: Quad-band 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz (The device will operate on frequencies available from the cellular network.)
Device Control 5-way Navigation Control
HTC VueFLO™ motion sensor assisted browsing experience
5-way Navigation Control
HTC VueFLO™ motion sensor assisted browsing experience
Keyboard Dual usage QWERTY keyboard for text input and display protection Dual usage QWERTY keyboard for text input and display protection Dual usage QWERTY keyboard for text input and display protection
Connectivity Bluetooth® 2.0
Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11 b/g
HTC ExtUSB™(11-pin mini-USB and audio jack in one)
HTC proprietary 16-pin combined port (USB 1.1 host/VGA and TV Out)
Bluetooth® 2.0
Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11 b/g
HTC ExtUSB™(11-pin mini-USB and audio jack in one)
HTC proprietary 16-pin combined port (USB 1.1 host/VGA and TV Out)
Bluetooth® 2.0
Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11 b/g
HTC ExtUSB™ (11-pin mini-USB 2.0 and audio jack in one)
HTC proprietary 16-pin combined port (USB 1.1 host/VGA and TV Out)
3.5mm stereo audio jack with microphone
Camera Main camera: 3 megapixel camera with autofocus and flash light
Second camera: VGA CMOS imaging sensor
3 megapixel camera with autofocus and flash light Main camera: 3.1 megapixel color camera with auto focus and flash light
Second camera: VGA CMOS color camera
Audio Built-in/Dual, Hands-free (microphone and speaker)
Headphone: AMR/AAC/WAV/WMA/MP3 codec
Built-in/Dual, Hands-free (microphone and speaker)
Headphone: AMR/AAC/WAV/WMA/MP3 codec
Built-in microphone and dual speakers
Ring tone supported formats:
– MP3, AAC, AAC+, WMA, WAV, and AMR-NB/WB
– 40 polyphonic and Standard MIDI format 0 and 1 (SMF)/SP MIDI
Battery Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery
Capacity: 2100 mAh
Standby time: Up to 300 hours (for GSM/UMTS)
Talk time (Screen off):
Up to 5.5 hours for GSM
Up to 4.5 hours for UMTS
Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery
Capacity: 2100 mAh
Standby time: Up to 300 hours (for GSM/UMTS)
Talk time (Screen off):
Up to 5.5 hours for GSM
Up to 4.5 hours for UMTS
Rechargeable Lithium-ion polymer battery
Capacity: 2100 mAh
Standby time: Up to 300 hours for GSM/WCDMA
Talk time (Screen off):
? Up to 5 hours for WCDMA
? Up to 6 hours for GSM
Video call: Up to 2 hours
(The above are subject to network and phone usage.)
Expansion Slot miniSD™ (Hot swap and SDHC compatible) miniSD™ (Hot swap and SDHC compatible) miniSD™ (Hot swap and SD 2.0 compatible)
AC Adapter Voltage range/frequency: 100 – 240V AC, 50/60 Hz
DC output: 5V and 1A
Voltage range/frequency: 100 – 240V AC, 50/60 Hz
DC output: 5V and 1A
Voltage range/frequency: 100 ~ 240V AC, 50/60 Hz
DC output: 5V and 1A

24 Responses to " Unboxing the HTC Advantage 7510 "

1. Bjenk Ellefsen says:

Matt’s smile says it all!

I think it is safe to assume Judie will be using that 7510 for awhile!

2. Yeah, I think that is safe to say. :mrgreen:

3. Heatwave316 says:

Did the 7510 mention CDMA, like US CDMA for us lowly Verizon users???

Any mention of price? $500/$700???

4. Well, here’s the problem. I don’t know that these will ever be easily or readily available in the US. They have the Qualcomm chip that held up so many other devices last year; I didn’t even find that out until last week, so I was planning on importing if necessary. These are so new that they say “Test Only, Not for Sale” when they boot. :-/

5. globecode says:

Can you actually hold it to type on the keyboard or does it need to be sitting a desk?

6. globecode, there is a very strong magnet holding the keyboard to the Advantage, and you can definitely hold it and key. I’ll admit that the first few times you do it you might sweat a little, but it’s quite secure.

7. Gear Diary unboxes the HTC 7510 says:

[…] operating system makes it an worthy upgrade. It definatyl is an interesting device. Head over to Geardiary and check it […]

8. Joel McLaughlin says:

Just can;t use this devices as a phone. I mean it is a phone and is capable, but it’s not normal to me. You almost HAVE to use this with a BT headset.

It would be more useful as a data only device. I think that’s what I would do with it.

9. That’s exactly how I will use it. But the fact that it could be used as a phone in a pinch is very attractive to me. But there are certainly those who do use it as their main mobile phone – Aura Mae is one of them. 🙂

10. globecode says:

It’s too bad that the keyboard handle couldn’t be folded down so that the keyboard looks like the slide keyboard of the tilt.

Can you add a sim card without powering down or restarting and it is recognized?

11. TrvlngDrew says:

Wow! A real nice new toy! A little suprised its not WM6.1 and that they are sticking with the mini-SD format. We didn’t get the Advantage 7501 down here in AU so probably won’t see this one either.. 🙁

12. Drew, it is 6.1! That list isn’t quite correct. 😉

13. TrvlngDrew says:

Glad to hear that, sure wish I had the time to have a look at the differences and see if its really worth waiting for updatess and what not.. I might just update my HTC TyTN II and carry on until 2009. So what are you working at this late hour? 🙂

14. Oh Drew…I had a hell of a day. After lunch we went downstairs for an indoor golf session, and when we got back to the meeting room, my MBP was frozen. The hard drive was making a racket and I had to leave session early to hit the Apple Store’s Genius Bar. I need to write a post about what ensued…I don’t think anyone will believe it all.

But needless to say, a less than three month old loaded out MacBook Pro suffering a massive hard drive crash in the middle of a conference sponsored by Microsoft was more than just a little bit ironic. 😉

15. TrvlngDrew says:

WOW!! Can’t wait to hear about that also considering the posts about all the Macs in attendance at Mobius.. Vellly Vellly intelesting.. 🙁

16. Heatwave316 says:

Yikes Judie!!! Sorry to hear about the crash. Maybe the MS gives were giving off to many anti-mac vibes. I’m sure they’ll be more than willing to give you a hard time about the crash….:)

17. Aktopshooter says:

Sweet device looking forward to the review I can’t believe this slipped by me I didnt really find out about it until yesterday that you guys received the units. I think I still will just buy the X7501 rather than this device I think I would miss the joystick

18. Ha, they were all super supportive. I will try to get the whole story written tonight, right now I am sitting at Seattle’s airport waiting for my flight. 🙂

19. @AKtopshooter – I do miss the joystick; it makes no sense to me why it is missing. The keyboard is also missing some of the buttons that were on the 7500. I do like the haptic feedback on the 7510’s keyboard, however. I’m sure that there are plusses and minuses I have yet to discover, too.

20. Hope everything turned out ok. was curious to know how things went with the MBP…

21. The went poorly, to say the least. I’ll write about it tonight after I get home. Getting on plane, soon…

22. TechWizard says:

Judie – I know why your new MBP crashed – so did mine!

WARNING: OWNERS YOU MUST READ THIS Love Hate Relationship! I love this powerful windows mobile device. Using real apps like Slingplayer, Fring, Tom Tom Nav 6 and Core Video player. I hate the fact that it took 2 hardrives in my Macbook Pro before i realize that I was sitting the device too close to the Mac hard drive. Why should this matter? Because of that HUGE keyboard Magnet. It totally ruined the hard drive and I had no clue what was going on until I recently thought thru my exact steps. – I sat the 7510 on the mac during a bluetooth transfer. WATCH OUT- Don’t put your 7510 in your casually in your bag next to your laptop either!!!! – HTC – you need a WARNING Sticker to let everyone know about this big problem.

David Bankston (TechWizard)