I’ve been testing this OEM BlackBerry Bold drop in charger for the last few days. The reason that I wanted a drop in charger like this is to use the BlackBerry Bold’s external charge connectors. Dropping in the device is easier than constantly connecting and disconnecting a mini USB cable. This is a charge only device – you cannot synch with the BlackBerry Bold in the cradle. Before I bought it I read a few online messages talking about it being too small and easy to knock down when the BlackBerry Bold was inserted. So how’s it work?
The BlackBerry Bold charger ships with just the stand (BlackBerry and Charging cable supplied by you). I bought mine at Amazon for around $15 shipped. Strangely I though I remembered seeing these chargers priced much higher back when I was using a Curve.
How’s it work? Does it tip over too easily?
1. It works perfectly (be sure you push the charger cable ALL the way in or you won’t be getting power to the device). Remember – this a charge only device – it will power your BlackBerry Bold from the computer but does not provide a synchronization conduit.
2. I have not had any issues with knocking by Bold out of the stand. Granted it does seem to sit rather precariously in the charger. I’ve kept mine at my bedside with not a single “tumble” or “knockdown” yet. The bottom of the charger is a thick “grippy” rubber that keeps the stand from sliding.
Another thing I love about this BlackBerry desktop charger is the tiny white nightlight at the top. It’s just bright enough to see where the Bold gets inserted in darkness. Not bright enough to keep you awake all night.
Today I’m ordering another desktop BlackBerry charger from Amazon to keep in the office.
Link: BlackBerry Bold OEM Desktop Charger – $14.85 + $2.98 shipping
What I Like:
- Night light to illuminate charging location
- Works via BlackBerry external contacts – no cable to attach to BlackBerry
What Could Be Improved:
- Does not allow for synchronizing while in charger