I have used mindmaps for several years to manage both professional and personal projects. Mindmapping is a great way to capture ideas and information visually. I currently keep all of my projects on track using MindManager from Mindjet, but I’ve never found a way that I truly liked to create, edit, and maintain mindmaps on the mobile platform – much less, on a BlackBerry.
MindBerry makes use of the BlackBerry’s QWERTY keyboard for quick editting and various shortcuts. Navigating between topics is easy done using the Trackball/Trackwheel (sorry, there is currently no official Storm support, but there is already a thread about this on MindBerry’s Google Group — so perhaps a proper Storm version with accelerometer and touch interface support will be in MindBerry’s not-too-distant future).
The application features:
* Intuitive navigation using the BlackBerry trackball or the numeric keys to navigate
from a node to another node (mapping topic “tree” branches).
* Supports Folding/Unfolding nodes with Spacebar key.
* Keyboard shortcuts to access all editing features.
* Drag and drop selected nodes.
* Cut & Paste selected nodes.
* Decorate nodes with icons, colors, fonts, and styles.
* Attach a note to a mindmap.
* Edit long, multiline nodes.
* Save and Load mindmaps to/from BlackBerry Media Card or Device Memory.
* Send mindmaps via e-mail.
* Send the mindmap details to Tasks on your BlackBerry.
The ability to import and export mindmaps into either MindManager or FreeMind is what really impresses me. I can create and edit a mindmap on the go, and then import it into MindManager. This is the “killer” feature for me. I can import my mindmaps to my BlackBerry’s SD card and work on them as the thoughts come to me – instead of needing to be close to a computer.
MindBerry is a very good mindmapping application for your BlackBerry. If you are currently a MindManager or FreeMind user – and a BlackBerry user – then I highly recommend you check out this software.
Note: Blackberry OS 4.2 or higher required to use MindBerry (Currently does not support the Storm). Blackberry OS 4.5 or higher required for the FreeMind import/export feature.