Almost all of our gadgets have become mobile. One area that has not kept up with is television. There have always been hand-held solutions that pick up local over-the-air stations, but what about the programming you really want to watch? You know… sports, comedy etc.
FLO TV is looking to fill this void with the release of a new hand held television. It lets you watch a great lineup of stations and programming on an ultra-portable 3″ by 4.4″ pocket sized television.
The device doesnt come cheap, however. The unit itself will run $249.95 and come with 6 months of programming service included. After that, however, there will be a monthly fee. Then again, can you REALLY put a price on something that makes travel or long waits pass quickly by letting you watch stations like CNN, Comedy Central, and ESPN Mobile.
Read full release after the break.
From FLO TV:
Television Enthusiasts Can Get Their TV Fix as FLO TV Personal Television Mobile Device Debuts with Major Retailers
— FLO TV Available Today at Amazon.com, Best Buy,
Radio Shack and Other Select Retailers —
SAN DIEGO — November 13, 2009 — Consumers eager to watch their favorite television programs, sports and news while on-the-go can satisfy their mobile TV craving as the handheld FLO TV™ Personal Television hits shelves across the nation today. The much-anticipated device from FLO TV Incorporated, a wholly owned subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), delivers live and time-shifted content via the award-winning FLO TV mobile TV service and will be available at Amazon.com and Best Buy. In addition, RadioShack will begin selling the device online and in stores this holiday season.
As part of the launch and for a limited time, FLO TV also announced that the first six months of subscription service will be bundled into the overall retail price of $249.99, after which point a monthly service subscription fee will be charged.*
“The FLO TV Personal Television is a dedicated device for consumers’ on-the-go lifestyle that is perfect for sharing with friends and family, as well as for personal viewing time,” said Bill Stone, president of FLO TV. “The FLO TV Personal Television is setting the standard for high-quality mobile TV thanks to our award-winning network and technology. It also adds another way for consumers to use the FLO TV service, in addition to a variety of handsets and our recently introduced FLO TV Auto Entertainment system.”
FLO TV Personal Television is the first portable digital television to offer all these features in one package:
- Dedicated portable television. Measuring 3 inches by 4.4 inches by 0.5 inches and weighing just over 5 ounces, FLO TV Personal Television is small enough to fit in your pocket while sporting a screen large enough to enjoy a complete television experience.
- Live mobile TV from America’s best content providers. FLO TV offers full-length simulcast and time-shifted programming from the world’s best entertainment brands, including Adult Swim Mobile, CBS Mobile, CNBC, COMEDY CENTRAL, FOX News Channel, MSNBC, MTV, NBC 2Go and Nickelodeon. FLO TV also offers limited-time bonus channels for special events, premium programs and original content.
- A dedicated, nationally available mobile television network. The FLO TV service is available through a dedicated multicast network so millions of consumers can simultaneously get amazingly high-quality video and audio in real time without streaming, buffering or downloads.
- A capacitive touch-screen. Users control the device with intuitive swipe gestures. The oleophobic glass lens keeps the 3.5-inch QVGA display crisp and clear.
- Long battery life. With more than five hours of viewing time and 300 hours on standby, the FLO TV Personal Television can be used for extended viewing or on long trips.
- An easy to share experience. With a large screen, built-in adjustable viewing stand and integrated stereo speakers, FLO TV Personal Television can entertain you whenever you want and wherever you are. FLO TV Personal Television is a dedicated device so it’s easy to share with family and friends.
For a full list of retail locations, please visit www.flotv.com. TV enthusiasts can also follow FLO TV on Twitter and Facebook.
*Taxes not included. Additional fees and charges may apply. Pricing and service subject to change at any time. Service must be activated between 11/1/09 and 3/31/10 and requires subscription. After six months’ service, the customer’s credit card will automatically be charged the then-current monthly subscription rate. Special offer expires 3/31/10. Customers should review the FLO TV Customer Contract and Privacy Statement for additional terms and conditions that apply to this purchase. Six months’ prepaid service subscription included with purchase of the FLO TV Personal Television is nonrefundable.