The Newport Jazz Festival at gorgeous Fort Adams state park in Newport, RI is the granddaddy of music festivals – the one that kicked off the trend of having jazz music in festivals, which of course can then be linked to the development of festivals such as Woodstock and Lollapalooza and so on.
On Saturday you’ll be able to access all of the music live as it plays at NPR’s Newport Jazz Site! They will do more than just dump the music – there will be historical news, sounds, videos and more available for the whole weekend.
Here are some of the folks the NPR crew plans to try to highlight during their two-day live coverage (the festival has an exclusive Friday night kick-off that isn’t covered).
Saturday, Aug. 7
* The Chick Corea Freedom Band with Kenny Garrett, Christian McBride and Roy Haynes
* Ahmad Jamal
* Jamie Cullum
* Mark O’Connor’s Hot Swing
* Darcy James Argue’s Secret Society with Bob Brookmeyer
* JD Allen Trio
* Rez Abbasi Acoustic Quartet
* Julian Lage Group
* Trio da Paz with Harry Allen
* Jazz Mafia’s Brass, Bows and Beats
* Berklee Global Jazz Institute Septet
Sunday, Aug. 8
* The Wynton Marsalis Quintet with Dave Brubeck
* Arturo O’Farrill and the Afro-Latin Jazz Orchestra
* Jon Faddis Quartet
* Dave Douglas and Brass Ecstasy
* Ben Allison Band
* Gretchen Parlato
* Jason Moran and the Bandwagon
* Matt Wilson Quartet with special guests
* David Binney’s Third Occasion Quartet
* Ken Vandermark’s Powerhouse Sound
* Amina Figerova Sextet
* Conrad Herwig’s Latin Side of Herbie Hancock
* Marshall Allen, Matthew Shipp, Joe Morris
I look forward to having this on all weekend long in the background to enjoy one of my favorite summer events of younger years living in Massachusetts …
Have you ever been to Newport? To the Jazz Fest? To any music festival? What memories do you have?