Image courtesy of Cisco
Cisco has just introduced their new Linksys E4200 flagship router into the world. This new router is a media streaming beast offering dual band Wireless N, 4 Gigabit ethernet ports, and a 6-pack of antenna’s for fuller coverage and faster speeds. The E4200 is designed to tackle high def video streaming to all your wireless devices without compromising distance or reliability. The router also comes with a handy USB port that allows you to add external storage as well as future support for a Virtual USB port. Cisco wrapped up all this WiFi goodness into a freshly designed sleek-looking package and slapped it with an MSRP of $180.
- Maximum performance of up to 300 Mbps (2.4) and up to 450 Mbps (5.0GHz)*
- Simultaneous dual-band (2.4 and 5.0 GHz) with four 10/100/100 gigabit ports
- 3X3 internal MIMO special stream configuration on the 5.0 Ghz band for ideal performance for streaming HD videos, gaming and voice
- Internal and external amplifiers for maximum speed at greater distances for added in-home mobility
- Six antennas for maximum range
- Quality of Service (QoS) for prioritizing bandwidth for movies, voice or music
- UPnP media server for adding on storage to serve your Internet-enabled TVs or media server PCs
- USB port for easily adding external storage drives
- New design
- Advanced security: WPA and WPA2 and Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) Firewall
- Plans to support IPv6 in the spring
- Cisco Connect software for enabling simple setup, network management tools (parental controls, guest access) and optional advanced settings
If you’re a networking enthusiast then these specs will look pretty good. If you’re just a home user that loves their wireless devices and gadgets, then this is also an excellent choice router for you. Most of the media-centric capabilities are already set up for you out of the box, so no need to hire the family brainiac to come over and set it up for you. If you have a router that’s a few years old or is not up to WiFi N spec, this latest offering from Linksys should be in the top contenders for the in home replacement.
With all the WiFi capable TV’s, Laptops, iDevices, MP3 players, Game Systems, and children’s toys available today, you want to make sure your traffic is flowing along as fast as possible and without any hiccups. Imagine being in the middle of an epic Netflix streaming movie, but the picture gets all jittery and pixellated; this router hopes to put an end to that with Cisco’s killer QoS technology and Linksys’s track record of awesome products. The Linksys E4200 router is available now at Bestbuy, Linksys in-stores and online for $180. Stay tuned here at Gear Diary for a hands on review.