This critically-acclaimed sequel to 2009’s million-plus seller, DiRT 2, has sharp graphics throughout the immense racing world..so much that viewers can have as much fun as the players. Players get excitement, high replayability, and endless challenges with double the playing space of the previous installment.
Dirt 3 is a popular rally racing game for PlayStation 3 that combines the feel of fast-paced arcade style racing action across multiple surfaces and environments with realistic features found on real off-road circuits. The third release in the acclaimed off-road racing franchise, Dirt 3 features a range of racing and driving disciplines at spectacular locations, more than 100 routes, the finest selection of licensed action-sports racing cars, multistage rallies set at classic locations, exhilarating snow racing action and mesmerizing Gymkhana race events.
More Cars, More Locations, More Everything
Dirt 3 boasts more cars, more locations, more routes and more events than any other game in the series, including over 50 rally cars representing the very best from five decades of the sport. With more than double the track content of 2009’s hit, Dirt 3 will see players start at the top as a professional driver, with a topflight career in competitive off-road racing complimented by the opportunity to express themselves in Gymkhana-style showpiece driving events. As players race to elevate their global standing, Dirt 3 delivers mud, sweat and gears the world over: from the intense weather-beaten rally stages of Europe, Africa and the US, to executing performance driving showcases and career challenges where car control is pushed to spectacular limits.
Key Game Features
- Be a Pro – Dirt 3 puts players in the racing boots of a professional motorsports athlete. The beaten up RV of Dirt 2 is a thing of the past as gamers compete against stars including Ken Block and Kris Meeke across a range of racing and driving disciplines at spectacular locations across the world.
- More, More, More – Dirt 3 boasts more cars, more locations, more routes and more events than any other game in the Dirt series. There are now 100+ routes in the game compared to Dirt 2‘s 41. Dirt 3 offers the finest selection of licensed action-sports racing cars available and the largest line up to feature in any Codemasters racing game, including cars that represent 5 decades of rallying from classics like the Mini Cooper and Audi Quattro to Ken Block’s rally spec Ford Fiesta.
- Rally is Back – After consulting fan-feedback, reviews and performing exhaustive data mining, the standout event from Dirt 2, Rally, returns with more than double the amount of content. Multistage rallies are set at classic locations from the traditional rally heartland of Scandinavia to the jungles of Kenya and the forests of Europe and the USA, taking players to the most dramatic, inhospitable and exciting terrain on the planet where only the most fearless drivers race.
- Express Yourself with Gymkhana – The 15 million-plus YouTube phenomenon pioneered by Ken Block now powerslides into to Dirt 3. Gamers can test their car control to the very limit and drift, spin-dry and jump their way to stardom in all new Gymkhana events. Set in specially created arenas packed with props, players can practice their skills, chain together moves, complete challenges or hang out online with friends in this spectacular video game first.
- Let It Snow – For the first time in the Dirt series, players will enjoy the unique and exhilarating spectacle of racing on snow. A highly advanced particle and physics model powers snow that builds up on the track, wheel tread and the car as it falls more heavily throughout the race. As players drive they will feel the change in the handling as the snow compacts at different rates depending on your speed, angle and cornering. This best-in-class feature delivers truly jaw-dropping visual and performance effects.
DiRT3 features rallying, a.k.a. rally racing, gymkhana, as well as other racing types, styles, and modes including Trailblazer, Land Rush, Rallycross, and Head 2 Head. Rally racing occurs on private or public roads while requiring interval, “staggered” starts and staged checkpoints – ideal for precision driving.
Gymkhana adds even more cerebral challenge. Obstacles add more challenge to increasingly complex courses, which require players to learn some amazing moves. Courses are set in set in Africa, Europe, and the U.S. Stunt driving, drifting, reversals, spins, figure “8”s and other moves all factor in. The courses have great layouts, so players can usually go full speed, especially if they know the course well.
Staggered starts and other rally racing elements add new learning elements for players new to the sport, but the game still has a great pick-up-and-play accessibility. The graphics provide helpful colored lines to let players know when they need to speed up, slow down or slam on those brakes.
The striking sound elements compliment the high production visuals well. Audio assistance helps as well as the co-driver speaks which turns/directions are coming up. Turn off this feature for a higher difficulty. Some voice sounds get a little cheesy, especially the one suggesting you upload the race just finished.
The performance system works very well. Players earn reputations, so there is no currency, which means achievements are much more satisfying. Other statistics enhance the experience, but it’s great to not see a money tally every time, which would have been a major distraction in this authentic racing experience.
The one player career mode speeds players through the professional races. Online gameplay works through the VIP pass/access code. The feature obviously allows competitive multiplayer races with players all over the world as well as the ability to share content. Players can upload their gameplay videos directly on YouTube, but the interface here is a bit clunky and could be smoother.
The considerable, ongoing downloadable content, available for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, includes the following pieces:
- Colin McRae Vision Charity Pack, which includes McRae’s classic 1970s Rally car plus five liveries
- The X Games Asia Track Pack includes racing environments in Tokyo, Japan
- The Monte Carlo Track Pack including eight rally stages with new snow and foggy environments (all profits from Charity pack sales are donated to the Colin McRae Vision Charity.
More of everything plus ongoing downloadable add-on content puts this racing game at a high performance level for players of all ages. Real world peripherals like racing wheels really enhance the experience.
Also available on PC and XBox 360.
Where to Buy: Amazon and other stores
What I Like: strong visual presentation, add-on content, online/split-screen multiplayer, new events, high replay value, realistic driving mechanics, helpful assisting features for all skill levels
What Needs Improvement: more prominent vehicle views within gameplay, more role playing elements/insight into a racer’s life, expand co-driver elements, easier video posting
Source: Copy provided by publisher