For the past week or so I have been working my way through the PC version of Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition from Overhaul Games. And it is the same as the absolute classic I played in 1998 – but better. So I was thrilled this morning to see that the iPad version was released! It had been delayed due to a bug discovered just before App Store submission, saying “iOS build had a game-stopper bug. With current estimate for app store approval, that puts us into next week. We’re doing all we can.”
Next week arrived – and now the game is here! Here is the description:
Play the Legend.
The original Baldur’s Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe, and has received countless awards.
This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons™ computer role-playing games ever since.
Now, upgraded and enhanced, it comes to your iPad.
* 80 hours of Epic RPG adventure
* Over 40 classes and kits
* Over 100 spells
* over 150 magical items
* New adventure: The Black Pits, a thrilling combat adventure
* New character: Rasaad yn Bashir, a Calishite Monk searching for answers.
* New character: Dorn Il-Khan, a half-orc blackguard with a history of violence.
* New character: Neera the Wild Mage, a half-elf on a quest to control her powerful magic.
The game costs $9.99, plus $2.99 in-app for each of the new characters – that brings it up to the almost-$20 that the PC version costs. Is it worth the price? Well, on the PC I would say YES, but will hold off on the iPad version until I get the chance to play. Expect a full review next week.
Here is the gameplay trailer: