I’m still trying to decide if “enhance reality” on a smartphone is something that will ever be a really big deal–I think something like Google’s glasses, or the implants that character has in “Neuromancer” are more useful than holding some external device up to your face while you’re trying to walk. But when it comes to star-gazing, yeah, it’s definitely pretty cool. And now one of my favorite star-gazing apps, Star Walk, is wanting to help you track Santa. (Why not; NORAD does it!)
Plus, they’re offering an iPad mini giveaway!
Vito Technology has announced a major upgrade to its Star Walk app – the augmented reality app for spotting over 200,000 stars, planets, constellations, satellites and galaxies in the night sky. The new version has been released for the holiday season and includes new amazing visual effects, optimization for iPad mini, new objects and a holiday special Santa tracking feature.
Star Walk is a handy astronomy guide that shows celestial objects (stars, constellations, satellites, etc.) in the exact positions on the sky above you, providing comprehensive information about them. It helps anyone even remotely interested in astronomy find their way across the sky, determine where to look for any chosen object, rewind or fast-forward time to see how celestial bodies move. It inspires curiosity about the Universe and helps understand amazing cosmic phenomena.
The latest update includes new additions to Star Walk’s night sky. Complete information as well as detailed 3D models of satellites are available for GLAST, Ajisai, COROT, Genesis I and Genesis II, INTEGRAL, and GPS Group, and others. Major internal optimization reduced the size of the app by half and allowed it to work and look stunningly on the iPad mini.
A special holiday surprise from Star Walk developers awaits for stargazers on December 21st when Santa will appear on the night sky on his yearly journey over the world.
Popular among parents and teachers, Star Walk has received a few prestigious awards of educational quality: the Academics’ Choice Award; the Parents’ Choice Awards; and UN-based World Summit Award Mobile. Star Walk is being honored as an effective learning tool, having the highest quality and being the most appealing mobile app.
• Launch the app and point your iPhone at the sky, you’ll see the stars, planets and constellations in their proper place from your location. As you move your device, the star map updates in real time.
• Tap Augmented Reality icon in the upper right corner to engage your camera.
• A scale on right is the Time Machine, slide it to see the sky map of tomorrow or years ago.
• A calendar of celestial events will make sure you never miss anything interesting.
• TelRad will help you find the exact position of an object when stargazing with a telescope.
• Satellites Tracking – never miss ISS flying over your head again
• Picture of the Day – stunning pictures from deep space
• Night Mode – preserve your dark vision to see more stars
• Search – wondering where Jupiter is right now? Arrow will guide you to it
• Big Screen – connect a second display to view the sky on a big screen
• AirPrint, Moon Phases, Info, View from any location, Sharing, Bookmarks, and more
• No internet connection required
English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish
* iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
* Requires iOS 4.3 or later
* 175.0 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Star Walk™ – 5 Stars Astronomy Guide 6.1 is $2.99 (USD) and available worldwide through the App Store in the Education category. Star Walk™ HD – 5 Stars Astronomy Guide 6.1 is $2.99. Review copies are available upon request.
Star Walk is a nice app to have at any time; why don’t you. And if you get it (and especially if you win the iPad mini!), be sure to let us know what you think below!