I’ve always been a big fan of Linksys over the years for making reliable routers for the home. Even though the next iteration of WiFi, 802.11ac, is still being finalized, this isn’t stopping Linksys from introducing three new routers based on a draft of the new standard. This is similar to how the previous generation, 802.11N was introduced so it’s no surprise to me that they’d want to get the jump on the new standard. The top of the line Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router AC 1750 HD Video Pro, EA6700 has the power user in mind. It promises speeds up to 1300 Mbps when using the 5GHz band and 450 Mbps when using the 2.4 GHz band. This is the one I am most interested in. If you frequently copy data around your own home network over wireless the faster the connection the better. The mid range router is the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router AC 1600 Video Enthusiast, EA6400 which offers up identical speeds to the AC 1750 when using the 5 GHz band with only 300 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band. The entry-level router is the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router AC 1200 Advanced Multimedia, EA6300 which offers speeds up to 867 Mbps on the 5 GHz band with the 300 Mbps being the speed when using the 2.4 GHz band. All three routers include Gigabit Ethernet ports as well as USB 3.0 and 2.o ports for attaching other devices. They also include optional apps for your phone as well as an optional Linksys Smart Wi-Fi account for configuring your router from almost anywhere. Not really keen in the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi account or the apps but the routers all look like great routers. Linksys is also introducing the Linksys AC 580 USB Wi-Fi Adapter which will easily let you add the new standard to any computer you have that has a USB port. That way you can take advantage of that new router. No word on pricing yet. For more on this check out the full press release here.
About Joel McLaughlinView all posts by Joel McLaughlin
- Phiaton MODERNA MS 200 Earphones Spring Cleaning Giveaway March 31, 2013
- Apple Lightning Connector Broken Inside iPad Mini Port – Eeek! March 2, 2013
- Monster Diamond Tears Headphones Giveaway May 7, 2013
- Win a Seagate Backup Plus on Tax Day April 12, 2013
- Facebook Phone Event, What Do You Think? April 4, 2013
- Confessions of a Doctor Who Newbie April 27, 2013
- Pebble E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android Review April 20, 2013
- Microsoft’s Xbox One Initial Presentation – Technology That Will Step Behind the Curtain and Let You Take Center Stage May 21, 2013
- The iPhone Doldrums – I Think I’m Ready for Something Different May 21, 2013
- Google Wants to Pretend It Is from the ‘Land of And’ May 21, 2013
- Domeo Recliner Folio iPad Case Review May 21, 2013
- FL Studio Mobile Gets Android Support – Hands-on Review May 21, 2013
- Swann HD PenCam Lets Dad Feel Like a Secret Agent May 21, 2013
- Live Score Tennis for iOS Ready for the 2013 French Open May 21, 2013
- Doug Miller: It's interesting to me that the strongest tech co...
- Carly Z: I am sure there will be glitches. But I had my fai...
- Michael Anderson: Awesome, can't wait to hear ... And if someone to...
- Carly Z: Well, we will find out if I like the Lumia...I jus...
- cgavula: I agree with this more than I do the notion that t...
- Michael Anderson: For me the issue isn't so much about the product ...
- dancohen: That's really the issue. As Judie put it in her f...
About MY Gear Amazon Kindle Android Apps Android Phone and Tablet Gear Android Phones and Tablets Apple Apple iPad Apple iPad Apps Apple iPad Gear Apple iPhone Apple iPhone and Touch Apps Apple iPhone and Touch Gear Apple iPod and Touch Devices Apple Mac Software Audio Visual Gear Automobiles Automotive Gear Barnes and Noble NOOK BlackBerry Phones and Tablets Bluetooth Books and eBooks CES Desktop Gear Digital Camera Gear and Photograph Services Games & Gaming Google Health Tech Home Tech HTC Laptop Bags Laptop Gear Microsoft Windows Phone Devices Miscellaneous Gear Mobile Phone Gear Mobile Phones Movies and Streaming Video Music Offbeat and Off Topic Power Gear Social Networking Sports and Fitness Travel and Travel Gear Ultra Portable Tablets WiFi and Wireless Gear Wired Headsets and Earphones