The Activity Tracker market is getting crowded with new releases from Nike, Jawbone and FitBit offering more and more features and integration into our lifestyle. Is there room for another one? Polar hopes that by offering more features, they can expand the market further. So they have introduced the Loop – more than just an activity tracker.
Here are some of the features:
- First waterproof and heart rate compatible activity tracker on the market
- Displays daily activity, calories burned, steps taken, time of day
- Activity Guide helps you stay active all day long
- Activity Benefit gives feedback about your daily, weekly and monthly activity
- Free guidance with the Polar Flow app and Polar Flow web service
- Compatible with Polar H6 and H7 Bluetooth Smart heart rate sensors
Two big features stand out: waterproof and heart rate monitor.
Waterproof means that unlike other trackers, you can wear the loop swimming. And since Polar has made a name for itself on heart rate exercise tracking, integration of capability to work with their chest strap Bluetooth monitors is a great differentiating idea.
For contrast, with most trackers there is little difference if you are at spin class, driving your car or sitting at your desk. The Loop would monitor your activity and give you a much better estimate of activity levels.
Initial feedback is pretty solid, with positives on the quality and heart-rate monitor integration, but concerns about the Polar tracking website, lack of Android or MyFitnessPro support. To me, it sounds like the important stuff is in place (stuff you can’t ‘patch’) and software updates can help with the rest.
Here is the informational video: