The Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Platform is targeted for flagship phones. Many consumers would prefer not to spend as much on their next phone as they did on their current laptops. The good news is that Qualcomm has also introduced the new Snapdragon 765 and 765G. Like the Snapdragon 865 Platform, it’s a huge step forward in speed, connectivity, and battery life.
Qualcomm is pretty excited about their new offering saying that the “new Snapdragon 765 and 765G unite the second-generation Qualcomm Snapdragon 5G Modem-RF System and 5th generation Qualcomm Artificial Intelligence (AI) Engine to deliver best-in-class mobile experiences, including intelligent multi-camera capabilities, breakthrough entertainment, and high-speed gaming, while also preserving battery life.”
The timing for the new Snapdragon 765 and 765G couldn’t be better since, with the rollout of 5G, we are poised for the next major mobile technology transition. That’s not lost on Alex Katouzian, senior vice president and general manager, mobile, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. who explains,
We expect 5G to be the fastest cellular transition in history. As the world’s leading wireless technology innovator, we are committed to driving 5G throughout our Snapdragon tiers in record time. Our expanded portfolio including Snapdragon 765 and 765G has the potential to make 5G accessible to billions of smartphone users around the world and help enable experiences like high-speed gaming, intelligent multi-camera capture, and all-day battery life, on a global scale.
The Snapdragon 765 will offer significant benefits when it appears in commercial devices sometime in the 1st Quarter of 2020. Among those benefits are:
- End-to-End 5G Connectivity: Snapdragon 765 with the Snapdragon X52 Modem-RF System is a huge milestone on the path to commercializing 5G globally. The Qualcomm Snapdragon X52 5G Modem-RF System is designed to deliver the trifecta of fast multi-gigabit peak download speeds of up to 3.7 Gbps and upload speeds of up to 1.6 Gbps, superior coverage for users around the world and all-day battery life.
- 5th Generation AI Engine: The new 5th generation Qualcomm AI Engine, combined with the new 5G Modem-RF System, heightens nearly every mobile experience including camera, audio, voice, and gaming.
- Intelligent Multi-Camera Capture: Snapdragon 765’s intelligent multi-camera capture allows users to choose from telephoto, wide, and ultra-wide lenses and create breathtaking photos without any extra equipment. Snapdragon 765 can also capture 4K
HDR video in over a billion shades of color.
- Breakthrough Entertainment: Snapdragon 765 delivers intelligent, binge-worthy media at breakthrough 5G speeds enabling extremely fast downloads and seamless 4K HDR video streaming so you can get the latest movie or TV show in brilliant quality and in a short matter of minutes. And even while offline, on-device AI processing can transform standard video quality into the vibrant, electrifying visuals you’d expect with 4K. Qualcomm aptX Adaptive audio auto-adjusts between high definition mode and low latency mode, keeping audio in sync with media and reducing audio/lip-synchronization issues.
- Enhanced Performance: The new Qualcomm Kryo 475 will feature speeds of up to 2.3 GHz and the state-of-the-art Qualcomm Adreno 620 GPU delivers up to 20% performance uplift, creating seamless gaming, video rendering and more.
In addition, employing the Snapdragon 765 platform in a device will translate into an excellent battery life that is made even better thanks to the on-device AI managing power delivery. Add in Qualcomm Quick Charge AI and devices so equipped will see an extension of battery life cycles too.
Snapdragon 765G combines a dual force of 5G and AI, along with a host of select Qualcomm Snapdragon Elite Gaming features to deliver unbridled gaming performance. Built upon Snapdragon 765, Snapdragon 765G offers up to 5.5 TOPS of AI performance and 20% faster graphics rendering with a bolstered Adreno GPU. Next-level Snapdragon Elite Gaming features are included to provide special game extensions and optimizations, smoother gameplay and more enhanced detail and colors with true 10-bit HDR to deliver high quality mobile gaming experiences. Snapdragon 765G is designed to deliver select premium tier experiences to gamers and with multi-gigabit 5G gaming, we’ve made it possible for players to game on the go, virtually anytime and anywhere.
In short, while flagship phones will feature the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Platform, thanks to the new Snapdragon 765 Platform, non-flagship phones will continue to impress in 2020!
We expect to see devices based on Snapdragon 765 and 765G Platform early next year.
Disclosure: I am at the Snapdragon Tech Summit as Qualcomm’s guest; they paid for my travel, room, and meals, but there were no conditions or expectations made regarding what I chose to write about regarding my experience.