The Goal Zero Yeti 200X is one of the company’s smallest Portable Power Stations. If you are going camping, taking a road trip, or simply want to make sure you have enough power to keep your mobile devices going in a power outage, this is the solution for you.
- Huge battery capacity
- Multiple ways to recharge the battery
- Multiple ways to connect a variety of devices at home, at the campsite, or on the road
- Big, bulky, and heavy
- Adding solar charging or cables for charging the battery from a vehicle raises the price significantly
We recently took a look at the Goal Zero Sherpa 100PD. It’s a fantastic power bank that saved the day when we lost power some weeks ago. That was just one of the Goal Zero products that saved the day. The second was the Goal Zero YETI 200X Portable Power Station; it’s a powerhouse of a power station!
The Sherpa 100PD we reviewed yesterday looks like an oversized version of the external battery packs we have been using for years. At just under a pound and a half, it is big and bulky but not too big or too bulky for your next trip.
The Goal Zero Yeti 200X Power Station is an animal of a different stripe. It measures 7.9” by 5.1” by 5.1” and weighs five pounds. Inside is the equivalent of a 187W battery. This is not something you will throw in your bag and carry on your next trip around the world. However, it is ideal if you are going camping, are headed to a beach bungalow, or worry about being without power for any period of time.
Of course, that size and weight mean a fully charged Yeti 200X packs a punch. It can recharge a smartphone sixteen times, a tablet up to six times, a DSLR up to eleven times. The 200X can also run an 11Wh light bulb for seventeen hours and a 25Wh portable fridge for up to eight hours.
As Goal Zero explains:
Our most lightweight power station to date, the new Yeti 200X delivers 187 Watt-Hours of lithium power and the latest fast-charging technology in a compact, ultra-portable design. Whether you’re headed out for a few days or the whole week, you’ve got the perfect amount of power to keep your essentials charged from door to destination and back again.
The Yeti 200X has a handle built into the top. It is a great way to carry the power station. Exposed corner bolts give it a rugged appearance.
On the back, there is the input for the included AC wall adapter.
The front of the Yeti 200X has a lot going on.
A small display sits in the center. When on, the display lets you know how much charge remains.
Beneath is there are four USB ports and a small button to turn them on and off. These include two 2.4A USB-A ports, an 18W USB-C port, and a 60W PD input/output port.
To the right of the USB ports is a US 110V outlet. A small button above it turns the power to it on and off.
Finally, a 12V vehicle port and a 6mm 12V port (for use with some of Goal Zero’s lighting options) sit to the left of the small display.
Goal Zero Yeti 200X Power Station Ports
- USB-A port (output): 5V, up to 2.4A (12W max), regulated
- USB-C port (output): 5-12V, up to 3A (18W max), regulated
- USB PD port (input/output): 5-20V, up to 3A (60W max), regulated
- 6mm port (output): 12V, up to 10A (120W max)
- 12V car port (output): 12V, up to 10A (120W max) regulated
- AC Inverter (output, modified sine wave): 120VAC, 60hZ, 1A (120W, 200W surge)
- Charging port (input,8mm): 13-22V, up to 7A (100W max), regulated
The Goal Zero Yeti 200X can be charged in three ways. The included AC wall adapter can fully charge the battery in four hours. (If you purchase the $49.95 Yeti X 120W power supply, you can cut this time in half.) With the additional purchase of the $39.95 Goal Zero Yeti Lithium 12V Car Charging Cable, you can recharge the Yeti 200X from your vehicle’s 12V source. (To prevent damage to the Yeti, the company warns against using any cable other than theirs.)
Finally, the Yeto 200X was designed to work with any number of Goal Zero’s solar panels. They offer a range of solar panels at a variety of price points. These cables and a solar panel will add significantly to the cost of a Yeti 200X but are worth it if you plan on being away from a “traditional” power source for any length of time.
Goal Zero Yeti 200X Power Station Features
- Compact, Lightweight Power Station: The Yeti 200X Power Station delivers high-quality lithium power you can rely on, housed in an ultra-portable design made to take anywhere. Yeti 200X is one of the most lightweight power stations on the market and the lightest Goal Zero Yeti to date.
- High-Speed Charging Solution: Equipped with the latest charging technology, including a high-speed Power Delivery port capable of charging USB-C laptops, tablets, mirrorless cameras, and phones in a fraction of the time.
- Solar Ready: Charge the Yeti 200X from the sun with our portable solar panels while away from the grid and keep it topped off from a wall outlet when you’re home.
The Goal Zero Yeti 200X is one of the company’s smallest Portable Power Stations. (There is also a Yeti 150 Portable Power Station that has an MSRP of $199.95.) Still, at five pounds, this is not something you will carry with you most days. For that, you will want to check out the Sherpa 100PD. If, however, you are going camping, taking a road trip, or simply want to make sure you have enough power to keep your mobile devices going in a power outage, this is the solution for you.
We have lost power almost a dozen times since we moved in five years ago. The Goal Zero Yeti 200X makes me a bit less worried about the next time it happens. That’s especially important, right as many of us enter the tenth month of working remotely. It is an impressive power station that has already proven its worth.
The Goal Zero Yeti 200X Power Station sells for $299.95; it is available directly from the manufacturer.
Source: Manufacturer supplied review sample
What I Like: Huge battery capacity; Multiple ways to recharge the battery; Multiple ways to connect a variety of devices at home, at the campsite, or on the road
What Needs Improvement: Big, bulky, and heavy; Adding solar charging or cables for charging the battery from a vehicle raises the price significantly