The REC15A High Power Wi-Fi Range Extender from Amped Wireless extender offers decent range extension that can boost the range up to 5000 square feet. This three-inch tall by five-inch wide extender plugs directly into an outlet and requires some configuration. It works with any Wi-Fi standard 802.11a/b/g/n/ac and transmits via single band (2.4GHZ) or dual band (2.4GHz and 5.0GHz).
- Up to 5,000 sq feet Wi-Fi coverage – Extend the range of any single or dual band Wi-Fi router. Adjust the coverage distance of your wireless network.
- Big Power in a Discreet Design – Eliminate dead spots & get more range with high power amplifiers & high gain antennas.
- Ultra-fast AC Wi-Fi Technology – Stream HD videos with fast 802.11AC Wi-Fi speeds
- Dual Band Wi-Fi – Simultaneously extend both 2.4 and 5.0GHz networks
- Universally Compatible – Works with any Router or Gateway: including Linksys, Verizon, Netgear & more
- 1 Wired Port, More Devices – Connect an additional PC, A/V device, server, or printer with an additional port
- Airplay, AirPrint, & Home Sharing – Works with all Apple networking features and supported devices
- Create additional Networks – Add up to eight additional networks for guests & other rooms. Control when your Wi-Fi is on or off & restrict access to specific users.
As the name implies, Wi-Fi extenders (a.k.a. wireless repeaters) basically resubmit signals they obtain, so users get another access point to use with (hopefully) an extended range. This extender creates up to eight networks for other users even with adjustable range distances, which helps users customize their Wi-Fi service amid a growing numbers of variable and factors.
Users must consider their service, router location, and layout knowledge (e.g. optimal placement relating to router and space structure, etc.) plus check other related factors (e.g. router follows with IEEE or Wi-Fi standards, nearby Wi-Fi signals, etc.).
This conveniently compact Wi-Fi range extender has a built-in plug with four main amplifiers (a 2.4GHz, a 5.0GHz and two low noise). The large, detachable and the LED light, set on top with the high gain dual band antenna, makes the LED rather awkward to view, but the hardware functions fine. The 4.5 inch detachable antenna can limit placement options. This extender a recessed reset button and WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) button plus one Ethernet port (with 100Mbps wired speed or a routing option (5GHz).
The port makes a great addition that provides user more connection/wired options to fulfill their specific needs. Use the port’s 100Mbps wired speed or try a feature called Wired Port Routing where traffic is sent to and from the router using the 5GHz band.
A setup guide is also included with access to a video, which I was not able to access during my initial setup. The setup works well, but it could be smoother for networking newbies. Manufacturers supply a handy card to record configuration settings. It might look intimidating at first, but it’s not really.
The main setup issue I encountered was at a confirmation screen. “Confirm that you are now connected to your extended network. Once you have confirmed the Next button will appear below for you to complete the setup.” It took multiple tries to get a Next button. The supplied phone number, email and web address for assistance helped here and it seemed to be an issue in the setup program…a very noticeable one.
The extender configuration (computer or tablet with Web browser required) basically consists of the following steps:
- Connect tablet or PC to range extender
- Access the setup menu
- Scan for and select your network
This $99 Wi-Fi range extender is compatible with all apple networking features (e.g. AirPlay, AirPrint and Home Sharing). Users can also control user access, parental controls, and a new Amped Wireless tool called BoostBand, which streamlines speed and performance. Users can also try the free, easy-to-use wi-fi analytics tool with nine-step instructions (Android & Windows only; not for Apple yet).
Amped Wireless also has a “range increase guarantee” for this extender and their related products, which have comparable performance and customizable options.
This recommended wireless wi-fi range extender can boost web services to a wide area in any setting. The simple plug-and-play set-up and very quick installation time.
Source: Reviewer copy provided by publisher
What I Like: Conveniently plugs into wall outlets, compatible with recent standard 802.11ac, flexible/comprehensive features, simple installation, customizable options and settings, wide signal (up to 100 feet), no interference from other household devices/electronics.
What Needs Improvement: Analytics app needed for Apple users, antenna too large (limits placement possibilities), placement of LED indicator light makes it hard to view, better set-up program