If you travel light, love messenger bags and need to convenient way to carry your camera, seven-inch tablet and a few accessories the Lowepro Nova Sport 7L may be just the bag for you. At under $60 it offers all the features of the Nova Sport line at a price commensurate with its small size.
Lowepro describes the Nova Sport Line if camera bags in this way:
Versatile, well organized and weather-protective, the Nova Sport AW Series is the ideal photo enthusiast’s adventure bag that features a removable camera insert and space for your devices.
- Outdoor enthusiasts
- Adventure photographers
- Sporting & casual events
- General purpose/daily use
The line includes the large Nova Sport 35L, the Nova Sport 17L and this, the smallest of the three, the Nova Sport 7L. The $59.99 bag comes in Pepper Red and Slate Gray. It has all the features of the Nova sport Line but in a small, compact package that measures
- Camera Compartment: 28 x 10.5 x 16.5 cm (11.02 x 4.13 x 6.50 in)
- Internal Dimensions: 21 x 13.5 x 17.2 cm (8.27 x 5.31 x 6.77 in)
- External Dimensions: 25 x 17.5 x 19 cm (9.84 x 6.89 x 7.48 in)
- Weight: 0.5 kg (1.10 lbs)
The Lowepro Nova Sport 7L is designed to hold just “enough gear”. If you use a compact or mirrorless camera, a 7″ tablet and don’t feel compelled to bring all that much more along with you this may be the right bag for you. The Lowepro Nova Sport 7L features:
- Roomy, well-organized interior offers wide access and plentiful space for gear
- Removable, adjustable camera compartment with storm-flap closure provides customizable storage for a complete camera kit; remove it to convert into a fully functioning day bag
- Dedicated tablet compartment offers padded and protective space for an essential tech tool
- Built-in All Weather AW Cover™ protects gear from the elements
- Messenger-style flap with side-release buckles provides full coverage when on the move
- Multiple storage pockets offer plentiful space for accessories and personal items in front and inside of flap
- Padded shoulder strap and adjustable grab handle offer multiple ways to carry and customize for a comfortable fit
- Stretch-mesh side pockets provide convenient access to a water bottle or other personal items
- Lightweight tech fabrics provide resiliency and durability
The front of the good-looking bag proudly displays the Lowepro name. A permanent handle on the top makes it easy to grab the bag and get moving while a single buckle at the bottom of the front flap guarantees the contents stay put. As we saw on the Lowepro Nova Sport 17L, the plastic buckle requires you to apply pressure from both sides at the same time. This means it won’t accidentally come open. Sure, it takes a bit more thought and effort to open a buckle like this but it helps keeps things put. The trade-off is well worth the effort.
Toward the top of the front flap is a single zipper that opens to reveal a small storage area. This is ideal for a smartphone or other similarly sized devices.
The back of the bag has an open panel of material that is perfect for stowing a few flat items.
Elastic pouches on the sides are good for water bottles, cylindrical speakers like the UE Boom or similarly shaped items.
Once you lift the front flap you are greeted with another flap of material. This lifts to reveal a single pocket for items such as a wallet or cables. A key loop inside means you will never get locked out of your home. (Okay, it doesn’t mean that but, so long as you use it, it DOES mean you won’t need to go hunting around for your keys.)
The larger bags in the Nova Sport line have two spaces beneath this front flap. Obviously the diminished size of this bag required a move to a single, but surprisingly spacious, pocket.
The main compartment of the Nova Sport 7L houses the removable camera insert. This offers adjustable organization and protection for your camera and accessories. And since the entire insert can be removed from the bag it can be used to protect your gear in any number of other bags. The ability to remove the insert also means you can use the Nova Sport 7L as a small messenger bag.
A properly sized but unpadded place at the rear of this space is intended for a small, 7″ tablet or eBook reader. The tablet icon sitting at the top of this area makes its intense purpose clear.
And since the Nova Sport line of bags is part of Lowepro’s AW (All Weather) line a Built-in All Weather AW Cover sits hidden at the bottom of the back panel just waiting to be pulled out and protect your gear from the elements.
The Nova Sport 7L is another well-designed bag from Lowepro. Due to its small size it won’t be for everyone. If, however, you only plan to carry a small mirrorless or compact camera and a few essentials this may be the right bag for you. If, however, there is even the smallest possibility that you will be upgrading to a DSLR some time in the near future you may want to opt for the slightly larger, but equally well-equipped, Nova Sport 17L. Learn more here.
Get it in Slate Gray.
Get it in Pepper Red.
What I Like: Built with Lowepeo’s quality and well-considered design; Holds a small camera, 7″ tablet and accessories in a well-organized, protective bag; Shoulder strap is removable
What Needs Improvement: May be too small for those who do not carry the bare minimum
Source: Manufacturer supplied review sample