Sony’s got a new offering on the way and it comes with a mind-blowing, 79-Point autofocus system. The new Sony ?77 II Interchangeable Lens Camera takes autofocus to an entirely new level. With a 24.3 MP image sensor, continuous burst of 60 full-resolution frames at up to 12 fps, an OLED Tru-Finder and a 3-way tilting LCD it aims to please.
The camera uses Sony’s Translucent Mirror Technology, the ?77 II also has the ability to shoot at up to 12 fps for 60 total frames with continuous AF. The camera is equipped with a high-resolution 24.3 MP image sensor, a BIONZ X processor includes a variety of new pro-friendly video functions for movie makers. Compared to the original ?77 the ?77 II’s image quality has an increased sensitivity of 20%.
Key Features of the Sony ?77 II Interchangeable Lens Camera Include:
- A new-generation 79 point phase detection AF system: The advanced AF system on the new ?77 II camera features 79 phase detection AF points – the most of any dedicated AF sensor in market today – and includes 15 cross points within the central area of the sensor. Additionally, metering data from all 79 focus points is processed by a brand new AF algorithm that predicts the subject’s movement. These impressive new features combined with Sony’s powerful Translucent Mirror Technology ensure that fast-moving people, animals or any other relevant object can be tracked quickly and accurately in all types of shooting conditions.
- The ability to shoot a continuous burst of 60 full-resolution frames at up to 12 fps: Continuous shooting stamina on the ?77 II camera outpaces nearly all cameras in its class as well as many professional cameras. The new model can capture a non-stop burst of up to 60 full-resolution JPEG images at a maximum continuous shooting speed of approximately 12 frames per second with continuous AF (in Continuous Advance Priority AE mode).
- 24.3 megapixel Exmor CMOS image sensor with enhanced sensitivity: A showcase of Sony’s leading image sensor technologies, the new 24.3 megapixel Exmor® CMOS image sensor in the ?77 II camera features the same gapless on-chip lens structure as used in the acclaimed ?7R and ?6000 models. Thanks to an array of latest-generation imaging innovations, the sensor now offers 20% greater sensitivity than its predecessor (?77), and ensures flawless image detail and low-noises performance across the wide sensitivity range of ISO 100 to 25600.
- A OLED Tru-Finder: The new camera features a crisp, bright XGA OLED Tru-Finder with 236,000 dot resolution. With about three times higher contrast and resolving power compared to the original ?77, the EVF on the new ?77 II shows the effects of all settings adjustments in real-time, accurately displaying what the final image will look like. A wide viewing angle and high eye-point are complemented by a newly-expanded choice of brightness settings, and shooters have the ability to manually adjust color temperature for comfortable, accurate composition.
- A 3-way tilting LCD: The ?77 II model also features a detail-packed 3.0-type (7.5 cm) Xtra Fine LCD that moves three ways for added convenience. The LCD also features WhiteMagic™ technology, which significantly improves screen visibility, even outdoors in direct sunlight.
- Expanded Control and Customization: The ?77 II camera has a total of 11 customizable buttons with up to 51 assignable functions. Up to three frequently used groups of shooting modes and other settings can be stored in memory and recalled easily via the mode dial.
- Tough enough for serious enthusiasts: The tough, light magnesium body features a dust and moisture sealed design and a large, contoured grip for comfortable handling.
- Pro-style movie shooting with continuous AF: The ?77 II can record Full HD 60p and 24p movies using the AVCHD 2.0 format.
Additional Sony ?77 II Interchangeable Lens Camera features that will be of interest to movie makers include:
- Three-level AF tracking sensitivity adjustment
- A pro-style Zebra function
- Audio level metering
- A clean HDMI output that allows viewing on an external monitor
- The ability to record to an external storage device without compression
- Wi-Fi and PlayMemories™ Connectivity
The Sony ?77 II Interchangeable Lens Camera is compatible with a range of versatile ? accessories including microphones, flashes and more, and is designed to work the optional VG-C77AM grip, which enhances camera operability and versatility during vertical shooting. The Sony ?77 II interchangeable lens camera will be available in June. For a suggested retail price of $1800 it will ship with a 16-50mm F2.8 lens. The body only will be $1200. You can see the entire lineup of Sony cameras here.