The other day we took a look as a neat system that allows you to share the content of your Windows laptop or Android or iOS tablet. Today we’re looking at the Actiontec ScreenBeam Pro Wireless Display Receiver and USB Transmitter offer a fairly simple, and highly convenient, way to “Beam your Screen to your HDTV.”
This is a two-part system. The ScreenBeam Pro will work with your Android tablet or Windows 8.1 laptop right out of the box. As the box explains, it works with,
- Laptops and Ultrabooks with Intel WiDi 3.5 and higher
- Wi-Fi Certified Miracase Devices including Smartphones, Tablets and Portable Gaming Systems
- HDTVs or Projectors with an available HDMI input
If, however, you want to use the system with a Windows 7 or Windows 8 laptop, then you’ll also want to pick up the Actiontec Wireless display USB Transmitter. Let’s take a look at each of the two parts of this system.
Actiontec ScreenBeam Pro Wireless Display Receiver
The ScreenBeam Pro Wireless Display Receiver is a small, simple device that connects directly to your HDTV. Inside the box you will find:
- The HD Wireless Display Receiver
- A Power supply
- A High-speed HDMI cable
- A USB 2.0 port
On the device you will find three ports. One is for the power supply. The second is for use with the included HDMI cable, so the receiver can be directly connected to your HDTV. The third is a USB input for “USB over Network.” As the user manual explains, “the receiver’s USB over Network (UoIP) feature allows the use of USB HID peripheral devices, either from the source device or from the USB device side.” In other words it allows you to connect a USB keyboard, mouse, or trackpad.
As Actiontec explains,
With ScreenBeam Pro, you can enjoy your favorite videos, photos and movies on the best display in the house. As the first wireless display receiver to support Intel WiDi 4, ScreenBeam Pro can stream content from any Intel WiDi product, including Intel’s new Gen 4 Ultrabooks. Connect the Intel WiDi receiver to your television and you can wirelessly display almost any content from a compatible laptop, tablet, or smartphone. That means you can sit back and watch movies from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, or YouTube on your HDTV. You can share your vacation photos and videos with the entire family, without having to huddle around a computer.
They go on to describe the benefits as:
- Works with select Intel WiDi laptop/PCs using software version 3.5 and higher
- Works with Miracast-certified mobile devices and PCs
- Live video and audio experience
- Offers all the performance advantages of 4th Gen Intel WiDi for smoother video, better color and better image quality
- Creates a dedicated wireless network for better quality
- Take ScreenBeam wherever you go: at home, in the office, on the road
- Easy to use, and everything you need is included
The system works as describes. Connecting it to my television was just a matter of plugging the device into a power source and then into my television. I selected the HDMI input on the television, and within a few seconds the setup window was on the screen.
Use with my Sony Xperia Z2 and Sony Xperia Ultra.
The Sony Xperia line of phones includes a number of sharing technologies. In the case of my smartphones, I simply went to Settings, Xperia Connectivity and selected Screen Mirroring. Within a few seconds my smartphone screen was on HDTV. In portrait, the screen showed up on the television in a narrow manner that had huge black borders. When I activated the auto screen rotate setting and held the phone in landscape, it immediately rotated and filled the entire television screen. I spent some time browsing several websites, and I was impressed by the lack of lag as I moved from screen to screen.
In a very real way this system, in conjunction with my Xperia Z2, allows the powerful smartphone to serve as a pocket computer. Add in a Bluetooth keyboard, and you have one impressive way to compute on the go.
Use With My Dell Venue 11 Pro
On my Dell Venue 11 Pro getting started was just as simple.
I had previously downloaded the Intel WiDi Media Share app.
I navigated to the app, ran it, and then selected the Actiontec Wireless Display Receiver. Within a few seconds my laptop/tablet’s screen was on the television. Suddenly the smallish 11” screen – – as nice as it is – – was no longer a limitation, and I could quickly see using the Dell Venue 11 Pro and the Actiontec Wireless Display Receiver as a home or work computing system. And here I had been planning to purchase Dell’s overpriced dock. (I still might actually.)
In both cases, the approach worked incredibly well… and for under $70!
ScreenBeam makes it easy to unleash content from the small screen to the big screen, by wirelessly mirroring or extending any compatible laptop, tablet, or smartphone to an HDTV or projector. Now a huge selection of Miracast and WiDi-compatible Ultrabooks, laptops, smartphones and tablets are able to deliver whatever is on their screen to an HDTV. The first wireless display receiver to fully support Intel’s gen 4 WiDi found on all new Ultrabooks, ScreenBeam Pro delivers a smooth and enjoyable high definition experience like nothing before.
Features and Q&A:
- HOW DOES IT WORK? It’s simple. ScreenBeam receives wireless display signals from your laptop, PC, smartphone or tablet and displays your device’s screen on your HDTV.
- WHY WIRELESS DISPLAY? Today more and more video, pictures, songs and presentations are downloaded and viewed on small-screen devices. ScreenBeam lets you enjoy all that digital entertainment on the BIG screen. Now you have the power to beam your device screen to your HDTV.
- WHY SCREENBEAM PRO? ScreenBeam is the first wireless display receiver to fully support devices featuring Intel WiDi, meaning a smoother, more seamless viewing experience. It also gives you a choice of extended or mirror modes, and delivers up to 1080p 3D with 5.1 surround sound. ScreenBeam does not require an existing wireless network.
- OPTIMIZED FOR 4TH GEN INTEL CORE PROCESSORS: ScreenBeam Pro is specifically designed to support the latest version of Intel WiDi. This ensures you’re getting the best experience available, delivering ultra-low latency, smooth HD video, and the latest technology to support protected content. Of course ScreenBeam Pro is backwards compatible to WiDi 3.5 or higher. Get the most out of your Intel device with ScreenBeam Pro!
- WI-FI CERTIFIED MIRACAST DEVICES: ScreenBeam works with compatible Miracast smartphones, tablet and laptops.
- SURF AND SHARE: Anything you can see on your laptop or device, you can now see on your HDTV. Users can surf the Web or watch movies from premium online video services from the comfort of their couch. It also displays iTunes movies played on your laptop. Share pictures or music with family and friends in the comfort of your home.
- EXCEPTIONAL EXPERIENCE: ScreenBeam wirelessly supports up to 1080p HD video and 5.1 surround sound audio, as would a fast HDMI cable. Get the HD picture quality and entertainment experience, without the cables.
- NO NETWORK NECESSARY: Your device creates a dedicated wireless display connection to ScreenBeam that does not require an existing wireless network. That means ScreenBeam is not likely to interfere with your wireless network.
- EXTEND OR MIRROR: Extend your Windows desktop with WiDi for multi-tasking and entertainment. Write emails, chat or browse the Web while viewing your favorite movie.
If purchased [Affiliate Link] here through our Amazon Affiliate Store, it is just $67.58.
Actiontec ScreenBeam USB Transmitter
The ScreenBeam USB Transmitter comes into play when you need to use the ScreenBeam Pro Wireless Display Receiver with a Windows laptop or tablet that does not meet the necessary specifications. For example, if you have a computer running Windows 7 this adapter will let you get all the functionality you would otherwise get if you had something with Windows 8.1.
As Actiontec explains:
With ScreenBeam USB Transmitter, you can enjoy your favorite videos, photos and movies on the best display in the house. The USB Transmitter lets you wirelessly mirror any content from your Windows 7 or 8 laptop on an HDTV. (ScreenBeam Pro Wireless Receiver is required.) Surf the Web or watch movies from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, or YouTube – all from the comfort of your living room couch. ScreenBeam USB Transmitter and PC software support up to 720p HD video, so you can enjoy the convenience of wireless without compromising your HD experience. And if your laptop does not support wireless display, ScreenBeam PC software is provided to support most Windows 7 and Windows 8 laptops.
Features of the Actiontec ScreenBeam USB Transmitter:
- Works with most Windows 7 and Windows 8 laptops
- Creates a dedicated connection for better quality and not interfere with local Wi-Fi network
- Enjoy photos, videos, and any other content on your HDTV
- Beam presentation, excel, and collaboration project onto the big screen for group viewing
- Take the ScreenBeam with you wherever you go: at home, in the office, on the road
- Does not require a device with Wi-Fi Miracast or Intel WiDi
Actiontec ScreenBeam Pro wireless display receiver
Laptop/PC with Windows 7 or 8 (32/64-Bit)
The addition of the USB dongle the kits is just $71.99 when you buy it [Affiliate Link] here through out Amazon Affiliate Store.
The Actiontec ScreenBeam Pro Wireless Display Receiver and USB Transmitter are a simple way to get your smartphone, tablet or laptop on a big screen. This makes it great for sharing media, but it can also give your productivity a boost be letting you more easily see what is on the screen. It is great for work presentations, it is small enough to bring with you on a trip, and it is something I can see being quite handy in my synagogue’s school… Which is where it will be going now that this review is done. Yes, the next time someone is coming to make a presentation getting it up on the big screen, it will be as easy as plugging the Receiver into one of the large HDTVs we have and plugging the USB dongle into the guest’s computer. My life as part-time IT guy just got a whole lot simpler!
Source: Manufacturer supplied review sample of the Actiontec ScreenBeam Pro Wireless Display Receiver and USB Transmitter
What I Like: Easy to use; Simple to set up; Minimal lag time between the device and the large screen
What Needs Improvement: Not for Macs or iOS devices