Ultimate Ears describes the BOOM 3 Bluetooth speaker stating it is, “It’s the ultimate go-anywhere speaker.” This is the case thanks to its, “balanced 360° sound, deep bass, one-touch music control, water, dust & drop proof, and stunning, high-performance fabric.” With myBOOM Studio, you can create a unique, one-of-a-kind myBOOM 3.
In November I reviewed UE’s new MEGABOOM 3. You can read my review here. The BOOM 3 is a slightly smaller version of the one I reviewed, but it offers the same style, the same great features, and the same impressive sound. You can learn about its features in the review of the MEGABOOM 3, but it is worth reviewing some of the speaker’s key features. They include:
- LOUD AND TRUE: BOOM 3 packs a sonic punch for its size. Featuring Ultimate Ears unique audio processing, it produces clear and balanced audio faithful to the music you love, and at every volume level.
- SPATIAL 360° SOUND: In BOOM 3 we’ve perfected the iconic cylindrical design we pioneered to deliver immersive, stereophonic audio that radiates evenly in all directions.
- DEEP ACCURATE BASS: Unlike most portable speakers, BOOM 3 gives your music a deep, rich bass texture that’s true to your music without exaggeration or distortion.
- VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE: BOOM 3 is purpose-built to handle life’s thrills and spills. It’s passed more than 25 seriously tough durability tests, including thousands of button pushes, 100s of tumbles, multiple drop tests, and more. So party on friend. From rooftop-raging to mountaintop-shredding BOOM 3’s got ya back.
- MAGIC BUTTON: With BOOM 3 you can play, pause and skip tracks directly on the speaker. Just push for convenient control of any streaming music. Or simply set up one-touch playlists for Apple Music® and Deezer® Premium via the app. Match the moment with the vibes without reaching for your phone.
- LIGHT-SHIFTING FABRIC: BOOM 3 is covered in a two-tone fabric that’s as tough as it is hot-damn beautiful. Engineered for applications like motorcycle jackets and fire equipment, this performance textile is built for extremes. And colored two ways by our custom dying process, it comes to life in a range of drool-worthy iridescent themes.
- KILLER BATTERY LIFE: BOOM 3 runs on the same battery technology as some of the most crave-worthy electric cars. BOOM 3 will stay powered and pumping tunes for 15 hours* on a single charge.
- WATERPROOF & FLOATS: BOOM 3 was born to get wet and is completely waterproof. Boasting an insane IP67 water and dustproof rating, it can be totally submerged in water for up to 30-minutes. When it pops back to the surface–because it floats too–it will still be booming loud and proud.
- CHARGE WIRELESSLY WITH POWER UP: Throw Power Up charging dock (sold separately) into your basket, so you can grab-and-go with BOOM 3, fully charged, to your next musical adventure.
- BLOCK PARTY: You and up to 2 friends can join Block Party in the BOOM & MEGABOOM App and see who’s the better DJ with BOOM 3.
- APP: Use your App to download the features like Block Party, PartyUp Remote On/Off, Customizable EQ, Musical Alarm, Tap Controls and more.
- CONNECT SPEAKERS. GET LOUDER.: Use PARTYUP on the BOOM & MEGABOOM App to pair 2, 3, 4…and over 150 speakers and create the ultimate surround sound experience. You can combine multiple BOOM 3 and MEGABOOM 3 speakers or even pair them with previous generation BOOM, BOOM 2 and MEGABOOM. Build a wall of sound? No problem.
That’s a pretty compelling list of features that are made all the more impressive when you realize the speaker gets up to 15 hours of battery life and has a Bluetooth range of up to 150 feet. Thanks to the speakers dual 2” drivers and dual passive radiators the BOOM 3, like all of the company’s offerings, delivers awesome sound. All of this together makes the BOOM 3 an impressive speaker worth the $149.99 price Ultimate Ears lists as its MSRP. Again, you can dig a bit deeper into the speaker in my review of its somewhat bigger sibling.
This review is all about Ultimate Ears’ new myBOOM Studio. It lets you not only get an amazing BOOM 3 speaker but, for. It lets you create a one-of-a-kind BOOM 3 all your own. The company was kind enough to let me take it for a spin, and the result is pretty neat.
CUSTOMIZE BOOM 3: Go to myBOOM Studio and customize BOOM 3 for you or someone super-lucky. Choose colors, fabric, text and more for a look that’s all your own.
My niece Talia is heading off to college in the fall, and I thought. BOOM 3 would make a great speaker for her dorm room. So I invited her to work with me making the various choices when designing my (in this care her) custom BOOM 3.
The Ultimate Ears BOOM 3 portable Bluetooth speaker just got more personal, thanks to myBOOM studio. This new design experience allows you to create your very own custom BOOM 3 in just minutes. Showcase your unique style by selecting from thousands of possibilities of trendy fabrics, colors and patterns for different parts of the speaker such as the caps, hang loop, and volume buttons. You can even add your name or other fun text on the speaker to make it truly your own or include a note to make it the perfect gift — you design it, we build it.
So let’s walk through the process.
We began on the landing page.
The first step was to pick the fabric color for the main portion of the speaker.
The next step was to select the color of the end caps.
The color of the volume buttons can also be customized.
We next selected the color of the spine.
Then we selected the color for the loop.
With all the colors of Talia’s myBOOM 3 selected there was one step left.
You see, myBOOM Studio lets you add an embossed message into the speaker’s spine.
In this case, Talia decided to go with simplicity. She simply had the company add her first name to the new speaker.
The process took just a few minutes and, before we knew it, the order was submitted and processed. A few weeks later Talia’s custom BOOM 3 arrived.
I opened the box (Sorry Talia, your one speaker will be slightly “used” but the review wouldn’t be complete with my listening to it for a bit.) The speaker sounded great. That’s no surprise since the UE line of speakers are among the best you can currently buy.
The Magic Button worked as promised. It’s a great new feature that I love on the MEGABOOM 3 I reviewed last fall and still use numerous times each week.
And the PowerUp charging dock is there waiting for you to spend a few extra dollars to purchase this convenient accessory
The real standout feature was, of course, the fact that Talia’s speaker is unique. She picked out the colors, and she decided what should be embossed on the rubber spine. In a world of “me too” speakers the myBOOM Studio lets you create something personalized. It’s every bit a BOOM 3, and it’s Talia’s. I can’t wait to see what she thinks about it.
Charlotte Johs, general manager of Ultimate Ears, has this to say:
Our speakers have always reflected the unique styles of our listeners, but up until today, our fans were limited with the color and design options we made available to them. With myBOOM 3, we’ve created this enjoyable and unique design studio where music enthusiasts can show their creativity and give their favorite Ultimate Ears BOOM 3 speaker a truly personalized look and feel.
I love the fact that you can now create a custom speaker. Sure, a BOOM 3 created with the myBOOM Studio is $20 more than the stock models. And sure, the fact that you have to wait a few weeks for it to be delivered, so there’s no immediate gratification. But $20 and a bit of patience are a small price to pay for a speaker that looks the way you want it to look while still sounding like one of the best speakers Ultimate Ears has ever created.
You can design your myBOOM 3 on the Ultimate Ears website or at select T-Mobile store locations in Chicago and Miami. myBOOM 3 retails for $179.99. You can get more information here.
And you can check out all of the company’s offerings here.
Source: Manufacturer supplied review sample of the myBOOM 3
What I Like: Same amazing sound and features as the BOOM 3; myBOOM Studio lets you customize the speaker
What Needs Improvement: $20 premium over the BOOm 3; PowerUp Dock is an additional purchase; Because this is a custom speaker, it takes a few weeks between ordering it and having it in hand to rock your world