If you want flagship features, power, and performance in your 5G smartphones that won’t break the bank, you are going to want to watch for devices using the new MediaTek Dimensity 800 5G Series Chipset.
The MediaTek Dimensity 5G Chipset family is a single-chip solution that combines connectivity, multimedia, AI, and imagine innovations into a single chip. We can expect to see the first smartphones featuring the chip launching as early as the first half of 2020.
MediaTek already launched its flagship 5G smartphone solution, the Dimensity 1000, and with the 800 series 5G chipset family, we are bringing 5G to the mid-tier and mass market. Everyone should have access to great technology. The Dimensity 800 Series will power the New Premium segment for 5G, bringing consumers flagship smartphone features and performance at mid-range price points. – TL Lee, head of MediaTek’s wireless business unit
By combining the MediaTek 5G modem with the Dimensity 800 chipset, MediaTek says that we can expect significant power savings compared to two-chip alternatives. The MediaTek Dimensity 800 family includes:
• Four Big Performance Cores: The Dimensity 800 Series is a performance powerhouse that pairs four big Arm Cortex-A76 cores operating up to 2GHz, with four power-efficient Arm Cortex-A55 cores operating at up to 2GHz. With more performance cores, launching demanding gaming applications is faster, and there’s significant improvement to multi-threaded performance. The Dimensity 800 series is first to introduce this advanced four flagship-class core architecture to the mainstream segment.
• Flagship-grade GPU: Four cores of Dimensity 1000-class GPU IP, combined with MediaTek gaming technology – HyperEngine – provide a no-compromise gaming experience.
• MediaTek’s APU 3.0 (AI Processing Unit): With four cores uniquely consisting of three different core types in its design, the 800 series provides up to 2.4TOPs performance. MediaTek’s APU HW design is more efficient and more powerful for FP16, delivering the most precise AI-camera results.
• Unparalleled Imaging: The flagship-class image signal processor (ISP) supports up to four concurrent cameras, allowing brands to have unparalleled freedom in smartphone design. The 800 series supports up to 64MP cameras sensors or large multi-camera options such as 32+16MP dual cameras that are backed by the ultra-efficient hardware depth engine.
• Premium AI Camera Enhancements: MediaTek put its flagship-class AI-camera enhancements into the 800 series. The chipset family includes AI-autofocus, auto exposure, auto white balance, noise reduction, high-dynamic-range (AI HDR) and dedicated facial detection hardware, along with the world’s first multi-frame 4K video HDR capability (Video HDR).
• Ultra-Smooth Displays: The 800 series can support ultra-smooth Full HD+ displays up to 90Hz refresh rate.
It may not feel like it just yet, especially if you are still in a 4G/LTE-only area (raises hand), but 5G is going to be huge in 2020 — not only in North America but also in Asia and Europe. We can expect to see better 5G coverage as new markets are added, and we will want devices that can take advantage of the faster data speeds, lower latency periods, and higher capacity networks that 5G will provide. MediaTek is ready to make sure that even the more affordable mobile devices will be ready to take advantage of all that 5G and the newer tech can offer.