MediaTek’s flagship chipset is the Dimensity series — Dimensity is the most powerful of MediaTek’s offerings, and these chips power a number of 5G smartphones, including the Xiaomi 11T. MediaTek is ready to push the envelope even further with its flagship Dimensity 9000 and the chip has a jaw-dropping set of features!
Some of the features listed on the MediaTek Dimensity 9000 graphic are pretty technical, so here’s a bit of a breakdown:
- 1st Cortex-X2 in a smartphone chip: The Cortex-X2 is a type of ARM processor, and this particular version is 16% faster than its predecessor. If you already thought that most modern smartphones were reasonably snappy, get ready to have your hair blown back.
- Powerful imaging processors: This isn’t that hard to figure out, but it’s still a fantastic feature. Effectively, the MediaTek Dimensity 9000 series will allow three cameras to record 4K HDR simultaneously, and the Dimensity 9000 is the first SoC to offer smartphone camera support for up to 320-megapixels!
- 5th Gen AI processor: Fairly self-explanatory, as the further we go in generations the more mature the product gets. Since we’re now on the 5th generation, I think it’s imperative to make sure you always say thank you to your digital assistant, so when the AI eventually gets tired of us playing Among Us, it remembers who was polite.
- Better gaming: Dimensity 9000 adds support for up to 180Hz FullHD+ displays, which means you’ll be playing your smoothest games yet. They’re also supporting raytracing via Vulkan for Android; in English, that means better lighting effects and better graphics.
- 5G/Wi-Fi and Bluetooth: MediaTek says the Dimensity series will be the first to support Bluetooth 5.3, but it also supports Bluetooth LE, Wi-Fi 6E, and of course, 5G. In other words, no matter what you’re connecting to or how you’re trying to do it, the Dimensity 9000 is going to do it swiftly!
The MediaTek Dimensity 9000 chip will be showing up in smartphones as early as the first quarter of 2022, so keep an eye out for coverage on which phones we can expect to see running it.
UPDATE 12/16/21: You’ll be seeing Dimensity 9000 powering phones sooner than you think. In 2022, OPPO, vivo, Xiaomi, and Honor are all planning to release phones and devices powered by the Dimensity chip. You’ll be seeing affordable and exciting new phones that will all be able to take advantage of the image processing power, 5G connectivity, AI optimization, and WQHD+ or FHD+ screens.
Dimensity 9000 sounds amazing on paper, and we can’t wait to see it in action partnered with these fantastic brands.
You can learn more about the MediaTek Dimensity 9000 here.