Synology, one of my favorite NAS brands, has just released their DiskStation Manager (DSM) 5.2 beta software. DSM is Synology’s award-winning NAS operating system software. Along with a host of other features, DSM 5.2 beta is designed to make managing your own private cloud a whole lot easier. Synology is also giving away three DS214se to the most valuable testers!
On their constant journey to create the world’s best Network Attached Storage Operating System, Synology has concentrated on the cloud as well as application serving for its 5.2 release. Following is a list of the added features in DSM 5.2:
- To allow users to ship applications and users to run those applications with minimal time and resources, Synology has integrated Docker into DSM 5.2.
- Also included in DSM 5.2 is faster, more customizable cloud syncing with added encryption.
- Now you’ll be able to restore single files from past backups within DSM 5.2’s file browser.
- With Synology’s new Web Clipper combined with Note Station and DS Note, you can now keep your to-do-list/task-manager synced at all times in your pocket or at home.
- Download Station’s new “preview” feature lets you see what’s being downloaded while it’s still in process to avoid downloading the incorrect data.
- Enhanced encryption with AppArmor and SMB 3 encryption enables the Synology NAS to secure file transfers to Windows 8 and Server 2012.
This all sounds very exciting, but don’t just sit there; you can try out the DSM 5.2 software for yourself! I’ve been using Synology products and the DSM OS for years now, and I can tell you that it’s hands-down the best NAS OS that I’ve used.