There are lots of ways to get better sound from your laptop or tablet but perhaps the best, and simplest, is to plug a decent desktop audio system with two speakers and a subwoofer into it. The Logitech Z533 Multimedia Speaker System is just such a system. It offers 120 watts of impressive sound and is under $100!
That’s right, the Logitech Z533 Multimedia Speaker System is just $99.99 yet it offers, “powerful sound that moves you.”
It consists of a larger subwoofer, two 2.5” speakers and an “at your fingers” controller so you can adjust both the volume and the bass. The system is a simple wired affair but the sound it puts out is impressive and the connectivity options open the door to a number of different use scenarios.
The connectivity is worth some attention since you can connect up to three sources inputs simultaneously. First, via the 3.5mm jack on the back of the subwoofer you can use the system as a speaker for you computer, tablet, smartphone. Second, you can connect it to your gaming console or TV via the RCA inputs on the back of the subwoofer as well. (The RCA cable is not included.) Finally, the control pod also has a 3.5mm port so you can quickly and easily connect your mobile device to the system, without having to bend down and deal with the subwoofer. And, if you so desire, you can use the 3.5mm port on the back of the subwoofer to connect your own Bluetooth adapter and can have wireless sound with ease. (The Logitech Bluetooth Audio Adapter is sold separately and is a good option. The Audioengine Bluetooth adapter we reviewed some months ago is also an excellent choice if you want to go the wireless route.)
You can also use the 3.5mm port on the control pod to plug in headphones and listen in privacy if you want to shut out the world or your significant other is home and doesn’t love your taste in music.
The control pod is a great feature of this system. It lets you control the volume and bass right at your fingertips. It also lets you turn the system on and off. That makes it ideal for use on a desk which is, after all, the most obvious use of a system like this.
- 120-watts peak power: Unleash impressive room-filling sound with speakers designed to immerse you into your music, games or movies.Z533 PC speaker has two 2.5-inch, full-range speaker drivers with phase plug, and 60-watts of RMS power.
- Feel the bass: Experience rich, dynamic bass with a front-facing subwoofer and feel every beat of your music.The two-inch port tube, with double ended flare, on the subwoofer enhances low frequency response.
- All-access control pod: Controls at your fingertips for optimal PC speaker experience. Position the wired control pod within easy reach to control power, volume and bass. In addition to controls, the pod features a 3.5mm jack making it easy to connect your smartphone, tablet or MP3 player.
This isn’t the smallest system available but it won’t take up too much room. The satellite speakers measure 6.69” by 3.93” by 3.34” and weight just 1.16lbs. The subwoofer measures 10.43” by 10.03” by 7.67” and weighs 8.82lbs. Finally, the control pod is 2.16” by 2.83” by 2.83”. It weighs 7oz.
- Speaker Type: 2.1
- Power Type: AC
- Power Rating (RMS): 60 watts
- Satellite: 2 x 15 watts (into 8 ohms, @1 KHz, @10% THD)
- Subwoofer: 30 watts (into 4 ohms, @100Hz, @10% THD)
- Power Adapter: 100 – 240V (50/60Hz)
- Connections: Stereo RCA, 3.5 mm auxiliary inputs
- Driver Size: Satellite: 2.6 in (66 mm) full range phase plug speaker drivers; Subwoofer: 5.25 in (133 mm) front-firing dome driver
Perhaps the biggest surprise for me when testing this system was the sound. Yes, with the system rated at 120 watts of power I expected it to get loud. But with a price of under $100 I really didn’t expect the sound to be all that good. It was. Yes, this system puts out huge sound that is also enjoyable to listen to. It certainly is in an entirely different league than the audio you get directly from your Mac or iPad. The same holds true when I tested it with my Chromebook and my Microsoft Surface Pro 3. In other words, for $99.99 this system is a huge audio upgrade that offers just enough features and flexibility to make it much more than a simple computer sound system. You can learn more and order yours here.
Source: Manufacturer supplied review sample of the Logitech Z533 Multimedia Speaker System
What I Like: Simple to set up; Three connectivity options; Fingertip control; Huge sound that will also impress; Low price.
What Needs Improvement: No wireless connectivity built in; Lots of cables running from the subwoofer to the satellite speakers and to the control pod.