Some time ago Perry did a full review of the UUNI 2S Portable Pizza Oven. He was impressed, and you can check out his full review here. Now the company has released the UUNI 3. This is an update to the unit Perry reviewed, and it takes creating wood-fire pizza at home to a new level. Let’s take a look.
If you love pizza, you will love the UUNI 3. As the company describes it:
Uuni 3 is the definitive tool for your garden or outdoor kitchen. It’s designed specifically to take the cost, bulk and hassle out of using a wood-fired oven. An evolution of the highly acclaimed Uuni 2S, Uuni 3 reaches 932°F in just 10 minutes and can cook an authentic wood-fired pizza in an incredible 60 seconds. The patent-pending oven runs on wood pellets which are very energy-dense and inexpensive.
New in the UUNI 3 are a few key improvements. These include:
A new, insulated body: It maintains heat efficiency and lets the oven quickly get to an impressive 932 degrees. That means you can create a wood-fired pizza in just 60 seconds. Also, the high heat means you can also use the oven for cooking meat, seafood, vegetables, and flatbread. If you are cooking something that usually takes a short time to cook the UUNI can handle it.
A new wood pellet burner that enables better temperature control and consistent cooking temperatures: Its design is easy to use, and the learning curve is rather quick.
A three, rather than four, leg design: By employing a tripod, the UUNI 3 is now stable even on uneven surfaces. This is important since the UUNI is intended to be portable and you won’t always have the luxury of a refined cooking surface.
A new chimney clip that makes the UUNI 3 easier than ever to break down and bring with you on your next trip.
Inside the box you will find:
- The UUNI 3 wood-fired oven
- The wood pellet burner
- A cordierite stone baking board
- A pizza peel
- A manual and safety instructions
The box does not include the oak wood pellets, so you will want to make sure you order some of those too!
Setting the UUNI up was fairly easy. I looked at the pictures in the manual and followed them. In no time at all I had the UUNI together and ready to use for the first time.
While, as you will see in the video, I cut some corners, I followed the cooking instructions, and in little more than a few minutes, I had a hot pizza with bubbling cheese. YUM!
- Weight: 13.4 kg / 29.5 lbs. Boxed
- Size: 22x36x64 cm / 8.6 x 14.1 x 25.2″ (HxWxL) with legs extended, excluding door handle. Height of Uuni 3 including chimney: 67cm / 25.2”.
- Stone baking board size: 33.7 x 33.7 cm / 13.2 x 13.2″
- Max pizza size: 13.”
- Max clearance above stone: 11 cm / 4.3”
- Power: approx. 6 kWh
- Fuel: wood pellets
- Materials: 439 stainless steel, stainless steel rivets, FSC certified wooden handles, cordierite stone baking board.
- UUNI 3 is compatible with the forthcoming Gas Burner (As too is Uuni 2S)
The company says the UUNI 3 is:
- FAST: The patented design allows UUNI 3 to reach 932?F in just 10 minutes from lighting.
- WOOD-FIRED: Bake genuine Neapolitan pizzas in just 60 seconds and add that authentic wood-fired flavor to your creations.
- VERSATILE: UUNI 3 is great for all sorts of foods from steaks to fish and roast vegetables to desserts.
I say the UUNI 3 is
- EASY: Even a novice like me was able to make a pizza in minutes
- FUN: There’s nothing quite like putting and uncooked pizza in an open and, in just a few minutes, pulling out something real to eat
- COOL: When people have come over this summer and saw the UUNI 3 their first question was, “What is that?” And, when I told them they inevitably said, “Cool!.”
The UUNI 3 is $299 and, if you plan to keep it outside, the protective cover is an additional $27.50. It seems to me that for a product priced at $299 that is marketed as being “portable” they could have included the protective cover but, alas, they did not. Also, my review sample arrived with a large bag of oak wood pellets. If you need more fuel for your UUNI, you can get extra bags for $25 each.
The UUNI 3 is pricey on its own and even pricier when you are in buying the pellets and a cover, but it is serious, delicious fun. Check it out here.
Source: Manufacturer supplied review sample
What I Like: Easy to set up; Easy to use; Makes pizza… Nuff said!
What Needs Improvement: At a $299 price tag it really should come with starter pellets and a cover