At this morning’s Samsung Unpacked event in Seoul, details were revealed regarding the brand’s latest foldables, the Galaxy Z Fold5 and Galaxy Z Flip5. But unlike previous years, Samsung’s no longer one of the (very) few foldable readily available with US carrier financing. Now, we can choose from the Google Pixel Fold, the updated Motorola Razr, and, if the rumors hold true, an upcoming OnePlus device. With more Android foldable choices available, we’ll soon know if the latest Samsung Galaxy offerings will be enough to keep its future-forward users loyal; in the meantime, let’s discuss Samsung’s latest flagship releases.
If you haven’t yet experienced using a larger-format foldable smartphone, one that unfolds into the size of a small tablet when opened, you should know that as the first commercially available folding phone, the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold is the OG that showed those willing to invest what the future of mobile devices could look like.
Now in its fifth-generation iteration, which means that they have worked out most, if not all, of the early days’ issues, the Galaxy Z Fold5 boasts a premium, refined, and sleek design.
While it’s somewhat easy to overlook the Fold when closed, as it has a long, narrow slab phone appearance (albeit a bit thicker than most), there is a lot going on under the hood of this beautiful little beast.
Closed, the Z Fold5 measures 6.1″ tall by 2.64″ wide by 0.53″ thick; on the front cover, there is a large 6.2″ HD+ Dynamic AMOLED display that offers a 120Hz adaptive refresh rate (48~120Hz).
That means whether you are reading your email or doing something a bit more processor intensive, the Z Fold5 will be ready to provide the smoothest scrolling and viewing experience while also actively working to preserve battery life.
If you’ve never used a foldable before, the size of the cover display is a very important feature because, all too often, it is the one that you’ll use most throughout the day; this is by design.
Even so, the magic happens when the Galaxy Z Fold5 is unfolded because it transforms from a slightly taller, albeit thicker, slab phone to become a 6.1″ tall by 5.11″ wide by 0.24″ thick tablet that offers a large 7.6″ QXGA+ AMOLED Infinity Flex Display with a 120Hz adaptive refresh rate (1~120Hz).
The S Pen Fold Edition, which was introduced in the third generation Fold in 2021, has also been fine-tuned to deliver an even better writing experience on Galaxy Z Fold5.
If you are looking for a way to increase your productivity away from your desktop or laptop, the Z Fold5’s large screen will enable you to complete important tasks from just about anywhere.
There are few if any, corners cut on the Galaxy Z Fold5; it is powered by the top-of-the-line Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 processor, and it comes with 12GB RAM and your choice of 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB user memory.
The Z Fold5 runs Android 13 with Samsung’s One UI 5.1.1 overlay; if you’ve used other Samsung Galaxy phones, you’ll feel right at home.
Thanks to its powerful processor and 12 GB RAM, you’ll get a smooth and seamless experience, especially when using the Galaxy Z Fold5’s Multi-Active Window feature.
With it, you can simultaneously run up to three apps on the main screen, or you can use the cover display to quickly access your frequently used apps or respond to notifications without even needing to unfold the device.
But when, for whatever reason, a larger screen is necessary, the front and main display will seamlessly transition, making it easy to open right where you left off if you want to spread out a bit and enjoy the larger viewing surface.
If, like me, your smartphone is pretty much the only camera you ever carry, you’ll appreciate that the Z Fold5 is equipped with a versatile triple-lens camera system, which includes a 50-megapixel main sensor, a 12-megapixel ultra-wide lens, and a 10-megapixel telephoto lens with 3X optical zoom.
On the front is a 10-megapixel wide-angle selfie camera, so no matter what you’re shooting, you’ll be able to capture it with lifelike detail.
When the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold5 is opened to the main display, you’ll appreciate the unobtrusive 4-megapixel under-display camera that’s handy for conference calls. When you aren’t on a video call, the main screen’s under-display camera is barely noticeable — to the point where you can almost forget that it’s there.
The Z Fold5 has a 4,400mAh dual battery with intelligent power management, so you can stay connected throughout the day without requiring frequent recharges. And if you get caught in the rain? It’s no problem, as this folding phone is IPX8 water-resistant.
But when it’s time to top off, you’ll enjoy Fast Wireless Charging 2.0 and wired charging with up to a 50% charge in around 30 minutes when using a 25W charger (not included); with wireless power share, you can top off your Qi-enabled earbuds without having to plug them in.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold5 will be available in Icy Blue, Phantom Black, and Cream; when you order directly from Samsung, you’ll also be able to choose from their exclusive colors, Gray and Blue.
In the US, pricing for the Samsung Z Fold5 will start at $1799.99.
If you think keeping a foldable tablet in your pocket sounds a little bit overwhelming, you can still experience the latest in tech while separating yourself from the crowd of Android slab phones with the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip5.
Measuring just 3.35″ tall by 2.83″ wide by 0.59″ thick when closed, and featuring a large, updated 3.4″ Super AMOLED (60Hz) front display. This new Flex Window is 3.78 times larger than the Galaxy Z Fold4’s, and it offers more customization options.
When opened, the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip5 is 6.5″ long by 2.83″ wide by 0.27″ thick, and the full-size 6.7″ FHD+ Dynamic AMOLED Infinity Flex main display with an adaptive 120Hz refresh rate is revealed.
The Galaxy Z Flip5 is not just about being cute and pocketable; it is also quite serviceable. Just like the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold5, the Galaxy Z Flip5 packs a performance punch.
It’s running Android 13 with Samsung’s One UI 5.1.1 overlay, and it’s also powered by the top-of-the-line Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 processor with 8GB RAM and your choice of 256GB or 512GB user memory, so you can expect multitasking and app-switching to be fast and responsive.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip5’s Flex Mode is where the magic of multitasking can truly come alive; with it, you can open the phone to just about any angle, making it perfect for video calls, selfies, or watching videos hands-free. You can even run two apps simultaneously on the main display for boosted productivity.
Answering a message while watching a video? Not a problem! Taking notes while on a call? Also, no biggie.
And if you love to snap photos of everything and anything, you’ll appreciate the Z Flip5’s camera set-up.
It’s equipped with a 12-megapixel wide-angle and 12-megapixel ultra-wide-angles rear camera and a 10-megapixel front-facing camera, so you’ll be able to take great photos and videos, and the folding design makes it easy to use creative shooting angles.
We all know how important battery life is, and, to that end, Samsung has integrated a 3,700mAh dual-battery design that should keep you going most, if not all, day.
When it’s time to top it off, you’ll have the option of Fast Wireless Charging 2.0, which provides up to 50% charge in around 30 minutes with a 25W charger (not included), and, just as you can on the Z Fold5, you’ll also be able to top off your wireless earbuds with Wireless PowerShare.
Its versatility that sets the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip5 apart from the typical slab phone.
Whether you need to check notifications quickly, answer calls with a flip, or use the device hands-free with Flex mode, the Z Flip5 is made to adapt to your needs effortlessly; it’s also IPX8 water-resistant, so you won’t have to worry about rain or random splashes.
The Z Flip5 is a great choice for busy professionals, social media mavens, or anyone who values a device that can seamlessly integrate into their daily life without taking up much space.
Heading out on a date or to a concert? The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip5 is very pocketable, and it can fit in even the smallest evening bag.
The Galaxy Z Flip5 will be available in Mint, Graphite, Cream, and Lavender, although available colors will depend on your region and carrier. If you want to really stand out from the crowd, you can order the Z Flip 5 directly from Samsung, where you’ll also have the option of choosing from Gray, Blue, Green, and Yellow.
In the US, pricing for the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip5 will start at $999.99.
Whether you decide on one of the new Samsung devices or their direct competitors, the future is certainly looking quite foldable. Are you ready to give one a try?
Ready for some carrier deals on the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold5 and Z Flip5? We’ve found them!
Direct from Samsung
Pre-Order Offers Include:
- Select the 256GB version of either Galaxy Z Flip5 or Galaxy Z Fold5, and you’ll automatically be upgraded to the 512GB version.
- You can get up to $900 off the Galaxy Z Flip5 or $1,000 off the Galaxy Z Fold5 with an eligible trade-in.
- You’ll receive 30% off Samsung Care+ with the purchase of a Galaxy Z Flip5 or Galaxy Z Fold5.
Galaxy Watch6 and Watch6 Classic:
- You’ll receive a free Fabric Band with the purchase of Galaxy Watch6 or Galaxy Watch6 Classic.
- You’ll get up to $250 off with an eligible trade-in.
Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra, Tab S9+, and Tab S9:
- If you purchase a 256GB Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra or Tab S9+, you’ll receive a complimentary upgrade to the 512GB version.
- You will receive up to $650 off any Galaxy Tab S9 series device with an eligible trade-in.
- You will receive 50% off the purchase of a Book Cover Keyboard Slim.
- You can save up to $540 when bundling the Galaxy Z Flip5 or Galaxy Fold5 with the Tab S9 series and Galaxy Watch6 series
- You’ll receive $40 off a pair of Galaxy Buds2 Pro when preordering any Galaxy Tab S9 device on Samsung.com or through the Shop Samsung App.
- For added peace of mind, Samsung is offering Worry-Free Screen Repair as a part of the Galaxy Z Assurance program with the purchase of a new Galaxy Z Flip5 or Z Fold5. This program includes a free one-time internal screen protector replacement as well as a discounted one-time screen replacement.
- If you prefer a little more protection, Samsung Care+ is available. With it, you’ll receive 30% off Samsung Care+ with the purchase of a Galaxy Z Flip5 or Galaxy Z Fold5, which offers unlimited repairs for drops, spills, and mechanical breakdowns using Samsung genuine parts by Samsung Certified Technicians.
But wait, there’s more …
- Health Assistant: Supplied with sleep and wellness features like Sleep Coaching, Personalized Heart Rate Zones, and Irregular Heart Rhythm Notifications, this new generation of Galaxy Watches is filled with meaningful metrics to assist users achieve their health goals.
- Dynamic Designs: Samsung provides the best of both worlds with the modern Galaxy Watch6 and the Galaxy Watch6 Classic featuring Samsung’s fan-favorite rotating bezel. Built with a 20% bigger screen, this new Watch series promotes more personalization for its users.
- Size Options and Colors: The Galaxy Watch6 starts at $299.99 for the 40mm model in Graphite or Gold and $329.99 for the 44mm model in Graphite and Silver. The Galaxy Watch6 Classic is available in Black or Silver, starting at $399.99 for the 43mm and $429.99 for the 47mm watch.
- Vivid Display: Equipped with Samsung’s Dynamic AMOLED 2X Display, HDR10+, ensuring scene-by-scene, frame-by-frame tone optimization, a 120 Hz refresh rate, and an innovative Vision Booster to automatically detect bright lighting conditions and adapt to keep the screen vivid.
- Rich Audio: Enjoy a 20% larger quad-speaker system with AKG speakers and Dolby Atos immersive sound to listen to music, play games or take a video call.
- Boosted Performance: Packed with Samsung’s Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 Mobile Platform for Galaxy, the same lightning-fast mobile processor in Samsung’s latest smartphones.
- Storage Options and Colors: Available in Beige and Graphite, the Tab S9 comes in a 128GB or 256GB option, the Tab S9+ comes in 256GB or 512GB, and the Tab S9 Ultra has 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB storage options available.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold5 and Z Flip5, along with the new Galaxy Watch6 series and Galaxy Tab S9+ 5G, will be available to Verizon consumer and business customers on Verizon.com and in Verizon stores on August 11th. Preorders start July 26th at 7 am ET.
Here’s the Galaxy lineup:
- Galaxy Z Flip5: You can get it in Mint, Graphite, Cream, and Lavender, starting at $27.77 a month for 36 months with a purchase on Verizon Device Payment (0% APR; $999.99 retail).
- Galaxy Z Fold5: It will be available in Icy Blue, Cream, and Phantom Black, starting at $49.99 a month for 36 months with a purchase on Verizon Device Payment (0% APR; $1,799.99 retail).
- Galaxy Watch6:It will be available in 40mm and 44mm sizes, starting at $9.72 a month for 36 months with a purchase on Verizon Device Payment (0% APR; $349.99 retail).
- Galaxy Watch6 Classic: It will be available in 43mm and 47mm sizes starting at $12.49 a month for 36 months with a purchase on Verizon Device Payment (0% APR; $449.99 retail).
- Galaxy Tab S9+ 5GB: It will start at $31.94 a month for 36 months with a purchase on Verizon Device Payment (0% APR; $1,149.99 retail).
Whether you want to switch to Verizon or move up to the latest and greatest phone, Verizon has some great offers:
- Switcher Offer: You can trade in select old phones and get a Galaxy Z Flip5 256GB on us or $1,000 towards a new Galaxy Z Fold5 256GB or Z Fold5 512GB. A new line on an Unlimited Plus plan is required.
- Upgrade Offer: Are you looking to upgrade? Trade in select phones on qualified 5G Unlimited plans and get up to $1,000 off the new Samsung Galaxy Z Flip5 or Z Fold5.
- Extra Storage Offer: For a limited time, get 512GB of storage for the price of 256GB when you preorder your new Galaxy Z Flip5 or Galaxy Z Fold5.
- NFL Sunday Ticket: Are you a huge NFL fan? New Unlimited Plus Mobile customers can access NFL Sunday Ticket on YouTube and YouTube TV on us by purchasing a Galaxy Z Flip5 or a Galaxy Z Fold5. If you’re not ready to upgrade, it’s no problem. All other existing mobile customers are eligible for $100 off NFL Sunday Ticket, which is redeemable through +play.
- Watch Offer: You can get a Samsung Galaxy Watch6 or Galaxy Watch6 Classic for up to $350 off by purchasing select 5G Android smartphones on qualified 5G Unlimited plans.
- Tablet Offer: You can get a Samsung Galaxy Tab S9+ 5G for $25 monthly when you buy select Android phones.
- Accessories Offer: If you’re getting a new phone, you’re going to want to accessorize it! For a limited time (while supplies last), you can get 15% off Galaxy Z Flip5 and Galaxy Z Fold5 cases and screen protectors, 25% off select Samsung Galaxy chargers, and 50% off Samsung Galaxy Buds2 when you buy select Samsung smartphones.
FOLDABLES: If you’re a new or existing AT&T customer, you can get a free Samsung Galaxy Z Flip5 256GB or up to $1,000 off the Galaxy Z Fold5 512 GB and Z Fold5 256GB with a Galaxy phone trade-in — we’re talking any year, any condition. AT&T also offers twice the storage when preordering by Thursday, August 10th.
WATCHES: If you buy two Samsung Galaxy watches, you’ll get up to $350 off.
TABLET: You can connect quickly on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S9+ via 5G or WIFI. An S pen, Samsung’s stylus for mobile devices, is included at no additional cost.