If you have been making music on computers for any amount of time, you shoud definitely know the company name PropellerHead. They make software such as Rebirth, Traktor, Reason, Thor and many others that have amassed a huge following amongst musicians. They have already brought Rebirth to iOS … and now they are bringing Figure, a tool for ‘instant musical inspiration’.
Here is the description:
Create an addictive beat before the next bus stop or lay down a beefy bass line while waiting in line at the bank. Figure will have you making music within seconds yet is deep enough for endless play on a transatlantic flight.
• Make songs with Drums, Bass and Lead Synth
• Play by sliding your finger across the play pad
• Always stay in key and on the beat
• No previous playing skills required
• Tweak and twist your track on the fly
• Sounding amazing has never been this easy
• The sound of Reason on your phone!
Truly designed for mobile user on the go, Figure gives you drums, bass and lead synth, controlled by an incredibly easy to use touch interface that gets you sounding great literally in seconds. Slide your finger across the play pad and hear your bass line play. Tweak the Rhythm, Range and Scale Step wheels to get the result you’re after. Programming drumbeats is just as easy. Set the rhythm and play the drums with your fingers. You won’t want to stop. You won’t believe how amazing you and your phone can sound.
If you are new to music making, getting started making great sounding tracks has never been this easy — and sounded so great!
While many are clamoring for the release of more hardcore tools from PropellerHead on iOS, Figure has some solid roots, as noted in the technical details:
The nitty gritty details:
• Bass & lead parts use Reason’s Thor synthesizer
• Drums powered by Reason’s Kong drum machine
• Play in different keys & modes. Set once or change on the fly.
• Increase the Shuffle to loosen up your beats
• Turn up Pump to add a club sound to your tracks
• Adjust levels using Propellerhead’s legendary mixer
Figure is designed for the iPhone and iPod Touch, but scales for the iPad and works properly. PropellerHead doesn’t recommend using on older devices – basically anything before the iPhone 4. I have had a quick chance to test it out and was very pleased with the ease of use and sound – my sole complaint is the lack of a native iPad version. Hopefully that will come in a later update!