2016 will be a huge year for Synology, Inc. the award-winning NAS manufacturer. They’ve just announced that they will be releasing version 6.0 of their industry-leading Diskstation Manager OS, a new Wireless Router with media server and storage/cloud functionality, new NAS hardware for businesses, as well as an Apple Watch app. Read on for more details on Synology’s 2016 outlook.
DiskStation Manager, or DSM, is Synology’s web-based graphical user interface. Think of DSM as the Windows to your Synology PC. Since Synology understands that their products are used both for home and businesses, DSM 6.0 includes enhancements for both home use and office use.
DSM for Business Enhancements
- Rolled-up OS architecture will support expanded 64-bit computing.
- Modularization of built-in applications delivers higher system reliability.
- Synology PetaSpace technology allows users to create a shared folder with petabyte capacity on multiple volumes.
- For enhanced security, Synology will implement Qualys Vulnerability Management to ensure all potential issues are rectified before DSM changes are made available to the public.
- Synology will be the first NAS manufacturer to support Non-Visual Desktop Access for enhanced accessibility. The screen reader will help visually impaired people have more access to private clouds.
- By running multiple DSM instances (as Docker containers), on one single NAS, IT administrators can effortlessly create a multi-tenant environment.
- In addition to Docker DSM advantages, Virtual DSM will offer greater control over CPU resources and includes live migration capability.
- An enhanced Cloud Station offers cross-platform, cross-device data syncing tools.
- Cloud productivity apps such as Spreadsheet, MailPlus, and more will give businesses complete control over their storage, documents, and more.
New Business NAS Hardware
The DS716+ NAS is designed for advertising companies, videographers, and creative firms that need to transcode large video files quickly. Highlights include:
- Intel Braswell quad-core processor
- Real-time video transcoding, including 4K video.
- High availability capability for enhanced reliability.
- Excellent scalability, can support up to 56TB of raw storage.
- Superb performance, with increased read/write performance by over 160% over its predecessor.
DSM Updates for Home Use
Synology will be the first NAS company to support the Apple Watch with DSM 6.0. Users will be able to access their notes and audio files using voice control or gestures on their Apple Watch. Video Station will be completely redesigned for easier and more intuitive navigation and support for offline transcoding and Windows 10 support.
Check out the following photos of DSM 6.0 in it’s current state:
New Personal Synology Hardware
Synology has announced it’s first-ever wireless router, the RT1900ac, that will feature simple 3-step setup for mobile devices and PCs, an easy-to-use desktop interface, and options to control devices by traffic or bandwidth. Additional features are as follows:
- Provides up to 1900 Mbps combined transfer speeds and supports beamforming.
- The Synology Router Manager software will be very similar to Synology’s award-winning DSM software, meaning that the user experience with this router will be out of this world.
- The RT1900ac will support add-ons like Download Station and VPN Server and when connected to external storage will create your own private cloud.
For a detailed look at Synology’s 2016 plans, you can check out their presentation in the YouTube video, below:
If you’d like to join in on the DSM 6.0 beta test, it’ll be coming soon. Please check back to find out when the DSM 6.0 beta will go live. If you join the upcoming beta, you’ll have the chance to win a free DS215j. Three winners will be selected at a later date.
Synology NAS hardware will be eligible for the DSM 6.0 beta are as follows:
- 16-series: RS18016xs+, RS2416(RP)+
- 15-series: RC18015xs+, RS815(RP)+, RS815, DS3615xs, DS2415+, DS2015xs, DS1815+, DS1515+, DS1515, DS715, DS415+, DS415play, DS215+, DS215j, DS115, DS115j, BC214se 2300, BC115j 1300, BC115j 1200
- 14-series: RS3614xs+, RS3614(RP)xs, RS2414(RP)+, RS814(RP)+, RS814, RS214, DS414, DS414j, DS414slim, DS214+, DS214, DS214play, DS214se, DS114
- 13-series: RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS713+, DS413, DS413j, DS213+, DS213, DS213air, DS213j
- 12-series: RS3412(RP)xs, RS2212(RP)+, RS812(RP)+, RS812, RS212, DS3612xs, DS1812+, DS1512+, DS712+, DS412+, DS212+, DS212, DS212j, DS112+, DS112, DS112j
- 11-series: RS3411(RP)xs, RS2211(RP)+, RS411, DS3611xs, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS411, DS411j, DS411slim, DS211+, DS211, DS211j, DS111
I’m excited to see DSM 6.0 and the rest of Synology’s 2016 plans come to fruition, what aspects of Synology’s plans are you most interested in?