We’ve been covering Speck since pretty much the beginning. They began with just a few iPhone cases, and they have built a company with many excellent smartphone and tablet accessory options. CES 2017 sees them making a series of moves worthy of their devoted following.
The company’s Presidio line of cases takes center stage in much the same way Speck’s CandyShell cases did for many years. The Presidio, which I am currently using to protect my iPhone 7, is a case that offers a great balance between protection, style and added bulk.
The Presidio line isn’t new but was, in fact, released in 2016 as a new direction for the company’s line of cases. As they put it:
In 2016 we reinvented our core product line and introduced Presidio, our slimmest and most protective line of cases yet. Presidio is made with IMPACTIUM™, an innovative and proprietary material that absorbs 52 percent more shock than standard TPE rubber. Presidio cases also feature new drop-test standards and designs — all while offering 20 percent less bulk than previous Speck cases.
Personally, I love the fact that it is a bit less bulky than previous Speck offerings. And while 20% less bulky may not sound like a lot, when you actually hold the case the difference is huge.
The Presidio is currently available for iPhone 6/6 Plus, 7/7 Plus, Google Pixel/Pixel XL and LG V20. Key Presidio features include:
- 10-foot and 8-foot drop tested
- Matte and glossy scratch-resistant finishes
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Cases add 20 percent less bulk than previous Speck cases
- Backward compatible, meaning Presidio fits the iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPhone 6s/6s Plus, and iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Also available for the Google Pixel and Pixel XL and LG V20.
New this year is the Presidio SHOW. The SHOW is designed to protect the iPhone without hiding it. It was, in fact, designed with the new Jet Black iPhone in mind since the new finish is something you really don’t want to hide behind a bulky colorful case. As Speck explains,
[This case] was thoughtfully designed with the new iPhones in mind, created to protect the device and let its unique finish shine through. Presidio SHOW is the only clear case from Speck with an IMPACTIUM Shock Barrier and 10-foot drop protection.
Having filled out the Presidio line of cases, there’s now something for pretty much everyone.
- Presidio: Superior slim protection with the IMPACTIUM™ Shock Barrier
- Presidio SHOW: New for CES 2017! Presidio SHOW was thoughtfully designed with the new Jet Black iPhone in mind, created to protect the device and let its unique finish shine through. Presidio SHOW is the only clear case from Speck with the IMPACTIUM™ Shock Barrier and 10-foot drop protection
- Presidio GRIP: New grip design provides a no-slip grip from all angles
- Presidio INKED: Superior protection with vivid and elegant patterns
- Presidio WALLET: Side-loading slot holds up to three cards or cash
- Presidio CLEAR: Completely clear case with 8-foot drop protection that resists UV yellowing
- Presidio CLEAR + GLITTER: Glitter crystals create a dazzling shine
- Presidio CLEAR + PRINT: Embedded designs won’t fade or scratch
Speck is also moving in some new directions no among them are,
The Presidio CLEAR for MacBook: The company is also rolling out the Presidio CLEAR for MacBook. This is a new endeavor for Speck as it is the company’s first drop-protective MacBook case. The company explains:
It features a dual-layer perimeter with IMPACTIUM CLEAR material that absorbs shock on impact to protect against drops up to 4 feet. Raised grip around the edges of the case provide a comfortable hold to minimize drops. It will be available for MacBook Pro with Retina display 13-inch in early February, and in Q2 for additional MacBooks.
Virtual Reality: The company plans to roll out the Pocket-VR. It is a compact, collapsible VR viewer that folds flat for protection and portability. “Whenever you’re ready to watch VR content, just slide it open and pop in your smartphone. And when you’re done, slide it closed and throw it in your bag — the lenses stay protected and it takes up less space than a phone.”
SmartShell GLITTER: Wraps your MacBook in a stunning, all-over shimmer that won’t fade or scratch off. Made with “the same high-quality glitter crystals found in our smartphone cases”, this case combines a sleek hard shell design for protection against scratches, dents, and bumps with vibrant colors that add personality and style to the MacBook. It is 47% stronger than SeeThru cases, with stronger, redesigned clips that hold the case to the device.It also has an ultra-thin and lightweight two-piece design is easy to apply and remove.
FlapTop: A protective MacBook sleeve with an IMPACTIUM™ Foam perimeter that compresses on impact and absorbs shock. As Speck explains,
The intuitive closure uses a responsive flex zone that allows you to securely store and quickly access your device while protecting it from everyday hazards.
It is available for MacBook and Microsoft Surface.
The StyleFolio Pencil:
• Provides a simple and elegant way to both store and use Apple Pencil with the iPad Pro 9.7-inch and 12.9-inch.
• The case features an integrated form-fit holder to protect and store Pencil while on the go, as well as an inkwell station to quickly stand and access Apple Pencil during intermittent use.
• StyleFolio securely holds the tablet in a protective hard shell, while a smooth vegan leather cover wraps around the front and clasps shut for all-around protection.
• Multiple viewing angles make it easy to transition from typing, reading and watching.
• DuraFolio features a reinforced textured finish that adds grip to give you a better hold on your iPad.
• Auto wake/sleep and closure magnets ensure your iPad screen is securely protected when on-the-go.
• Multiple viewing angles and a convenient typing mode.
Just for Fun:
In all, Speck has a ton to offer in 2017 and something tells us they are just getting started. Check out the entire line of offerings here on the company site.