Anker was founded in 2011; since then, the company has become a powerhouse in the mobile accessory market and the world’s number one charging brand. We included a number of their new offerings in our 2021 Holiday Gift Guide, but I wanted to dig deeper into the Anker 633 Magnetic Wireless Charger (MagGo), a 2-in-1 Wireless Charging Station.
MagSafe charging for the iPhone has been a game-changer for me. Having more and more of my true wireless earbuds that include Qi wireless charging has too. And having one charger that can charge both my phone and my AirPod Pro or Master & Dynamic MW08 Sport is a bonus.
The Anker 633 Magnetic Wireless Charger (MagGo) offers the best of both worlds and then goes a few steps further. So let’s take a closer look.
The Anker 633 Magnetic Wireless Charger is a wireless charger made from white plastic and polished aluminum.
Inside the box, you get the wireless charger, a 25W USB-C adapter, and a 5′ cable; that’s everything you need to keep your mobile devices fully charged.
The phone charger sits atop an aluminum post. It looks like a design choice but is actually quite practical since it raised the phone slightly for easy viewing while charging.
Since this is part of Anker’s MagGo line, it will come as no surprise that there are magnets embedded in the charging surface to grab hold of your iPhone and position it optimally so it can take full advantage of the 7.5W Qi wireless charger.
Thanks to the magnets, the charging surface can hold the phone vertically or horizontally, so you have your choice of viewing your phone in either portrait or landscape.
In addition, you can adjust the viewing angle up to 40°, so it is even easier to watch videos, reply to messages, or take video calls while the phone is getting topped off.
Anker does, however, offer a few caveats. As they explain, the Anker 633 Magnetic Wireless Charger:
- Is not compatible with non-magnetic phone cases, such as OtterBox defender cases.
- Is not compatible with cases made of metal and attachments such as magnets, cards, keys, and pop grips will interfere with charging.
- Does not support the charging of the iPhone 13 Pro with a case when placed horizontally.
Don’t let the caveats stop you from considering this wireless charger, though, because it has plenty of features to discover.
The base is the Anker 633 Magnetic Wireless Charger is also a Qi-wireless changer. While it isn’t powerful enough to charge a second phone, it is perfectly capable of charging my AirPod Pro wirelessly. That makes this an ideal bedside charger.
Think about it, when the day is over, you can set your phone next to the bed to use it as an alarm clock and place your AirPods on the base. That way, when the next day begins, you not only know exactly where your phone and AirPods are, but you can be confident both will start the day fully charged.
And there’s even more.
Extra Power To Go: Seamlessly slide out the slim 5,000 mAh portable charger and get up to 17 hours of extended use. When the battery runs low, snap it back onto the charging station for an instant recharge.
The MagGo charging surface is actually an external battery. When it sits in the Anker 633 Magnetic Wireless Charger cradle, the 5,000 mAh battery gets topped off while holding and charging your phone. (Or it alone gets recharged if there is no phone attached.)
When it is time to head out, you can slide the battery out of the stand and toss it into your gear bag. Then, when your phone runs down in the afternoon, you can simply pull out the battery, place the phone close enough that the magnets pull the two together, and top your phone off.
Because it can recharge your phone wirelessly, you won’t need to carry a cable. And, thanks to the mariners, you can carry the phone and battery together as if they were a single device. It is a brilliant design that gives you the best of both worlds.
Key Features Include:
- Charge Simultaneously: Keep iPhone 13/12 and wireless earbuds charged simultaneously in one convenient place. (Note: Charge without a case or with an iPhone-compatible magnetic phone case)
- Instant Snap: To make charging truly effortless, simply hold the iPhone near the magnetic charging surface and see it snap into place automatically
- Extra Power To Go: Seamlessly slide out the slim 5,000 mAh portable charger and get up to 17 hours of extended use. When the battery runs low, snap it back onto the charging station for an instant recharge
- The Right Angle: Rotate vertically or horizontally, and adjust the viewing angle up to 40° to watch videos, reply messages, or video calls
- 2-in-1: Features a 2-in-1 design that acts as a wireless charging stand and comes with a slide-out portable charger for an additional 17 hours of use wherever you go
- Natural Attraction: Built-in magnets keep your iPhone 13/12 centered on the magnetic wireless charging area for a consistent charge. (Note: Use iPhone-compatible magnetic cases for an optimal charge)
- Completely Safe: Anker’s exclusive MultiProtect safety technology provides complete protection for you and your devices
- Sleep-Friendly LED Indicator: Equipped with a pulsing LED light that displays the charging status and does not disturb your sleep. Go to bed with peace of mind as you leave your iPhone and AirPods to charge
The Anker 633 Magnetic Wireless Charger is available in your choice of Dolomite White, Misty Blue, and Interstellar Gray. It’s a wireless desktop/bedside phone charger, a wireless AirPod charger, and a portable wireless battery in one. It takes up minimal space on your desk or night table and, thanks to the magnets built into it, holds the phone and automatically aligns it for optimal charging.
That’s three products in one for under $120, and it comes with a 5′ USB-C cable and Anker’s 25W USB-C wall adapter. I’m currently using it on my desk and find it to be a convenient way to keep my iPhone in view and fully charged.
The only thing that would make it better would be the inclusion of a USB-C port on the base for charging a third device.
Even so, I like that it doesn’t take up much space on a desk; it keeps your phone aligned for optimal charging and gives you a powerful external battery in the process. Just be careful you don’t lose the battery since, without it, the Anker 633 Magnetic Wireless Charger is just a paperweight with an AirPod charger in the base.
I appreciate the thoughtful design of the Anker 633 Magnetic Wireless Charger and, while the $120 price tag might initially give you pause, for the money, you get three different chargers in one; that strikes me as a win-win-win.
The Anker 633 Magnetic Wireless Charger retails for $119.99; it is available directly from the manufacturer.
Source: Manufacturer supplied review sample
What I Like: MagSafe wireless charger holds the phone in either portrait or landscape orientation; Magnets ensure the phone lines up perfectly with the charging coils; Phone in the charger can be adjusted for optimal viewing; The base is also a wireless charger for AirPods and other earbuds with wireless charging; Wireless charger for the phone is a portable, external battery that easily slips out of the cradle when you are headed out; Includes USB-C cable and a 25W wall adapter
What Needs Improvement: An Apple-centric product since it is designed for MagSafe; If you lose the removable power pack, you are left with a paperweight; I would have loved to see an additional USB-C port on the base