What’s better than a good cordless tool? Six great tools that all work on the same lithium-ion battery system. Craftsman’s new V60 system of outdoor power equipment offers homeowners durable cordless tools to help them power through the yard work without the noise and inconvenience of gas. With interchangeable batteries of three sizes, we’re impressed with the Craftsman V60 system.
The CraftsmanV60 system includes six cordless tools with three different battery size options, depending on whether you want a lightweight tool for quick work or a long-lasting, power-packed tool to keep your mower running. The V60 lineup of tools includes:
- V60 Axial Blower – Featuring a powerful brushless motor, the Axial Blower comes with a 2.5Ah battery that allows you to cover about ¼ of an acre. The axial fan design delivers efficient airflow up to 600CFM and 110MPH. This blower weighs less than 10lbs to reduce user fatigue. (MSRP $219)
- V60 String Trimmer – The V60 String Trimmer has a 15” wide cutting area, has a high-efficiency brushless motor, and comes with a 2.5Ah battery. The pole height is adjustable to fit anyone at varying heights and has a bump feed system and Quickwind spool system for convenience. The String Trimmer weighs about 10.2lbs. (MSRP $219)
- V60 Self-propelled mower – This mower is 21” wide and has 3 functions built into the one mower. It can mulch, bag, or side discharge the clippings, and comes with a 7.5Ah battery for a long-lasting mow. The mower will last about 1.8 hours on a full charge. (MSRP $219)
- V60 Chainsaw – This 16” chainsaw features a brushless motor and is equipped with a 2.5Ah battery. A built-in bubble level allows for precise and level cutting. Also, the chain automatically oils itself and there is a tool-free tensioning feature for minimal maintenance. The Chainsaw also comes with a bar cover to protect accidental cuts. The V60 Chainsaw weighs about 12.4lbs. (MSRP $269)
- V60 Power Saw Hedge Trimmer – This 24” hedge trimmer comes equipped with a 2.5Ah battery. The blades are dual-action and were laser cut. This trimmer can cut up to 1.5” thick branches using its wide ¾” blade gap and weighs only 9lbs with battery. (MSRP $219)
- V60 21” Push Mower – The push version of the mower is also 21” wide and comes with a 5Ah battery. The push mower can mulch, bag or side discharge the trimmings and will last up to 1.25 hours when the battery is fully charged. (MSRP $469)
The V60 lineup of batteries includes:
- V60 2.5Ah battery
- V60 5Ah battery
- V60 7.5Ah battery
All V60 batteries feature an LED indicator that you can press to let you know how much juice is left. They also feature no memory and low self-discharge for maximum rechargeability and productivity.
Our friends and Craftsman were kind enough to send the V60 Chainsaw as well as the V60 Hedge Trimmer for testing. Each comes with its own battery and charger. My immediate reaction was that it would be incredibly convenient to be able to have two batteries charged and ready to swap out at a moments notice.
Both of the cordless tools felt really well constructed and I was not disappointed when I used them to do some yard work. The chainsaw cut through logs like butter, which was a bit surprising given the fact that we’re working with a cordless tool here. The hedge trimmer did a nice job trimming some of our tall Forsythia bushes, cutting through 1” thick branches with ease. Each of the cordless tools felt well balanced in my hand, were ergonomic, and simple-to-use.
Check out this footage from my testing:
The safety features on both tools are appreciated. The blade guards that come with both tools are great since we have kids who like to explore the garage. While using the tools, each has a safety latch that needs to be engaged to use the tool. This ensures that the person using the tool is paying attention and ready to use it as well as ensuring kids can’t accidentally turn the tools on.
Overall, I’m impressed with the V60 system. The tools are lightweight and easy to use, while the interchangeable battery system makes the tools very convenient. With about an hour runtime on both tools and enough power to get the job done, you can’t go wrong. Plus, with a 4-year limited warranty, Craftsman will take care of you for years to come.
You can purchase your Craftsman V60 tools at retailers across America.
Source: Manufacturer supplied review sample
What I Like: Convenient, swappable batteries; Lightweight and simple to use; Have the power and battery life to get real work done; Cuts through branches and logs like butter
What Needs Improvement: Nothing I could find in my testing