The new MediaTek Dimensity 8100 and Dimensity 8000 system-on-chips (SoCs) have just been announced. Borrowing the advanced technology from their flagship Dimensity 9000 platform, the new chips promise to “bring flagship-level technology – connectivity, displays, gaming, multimedia, and imaging features – to premium 5G smartphones.”
The new Dimensity 8000 series is built on an octa-core CPU with the ultra-efficient TSMC 5nm production process. The MediaTek Dimensity 8100 integrates four premium Arm Cortex-A78 cores with speeds reaching 2.85GHz, while the Dimensity 8000 has four Cortex-A78 cores operating at up to 2.75GHz.
As CH Chen, Deputy General Manager of MediaTek’s Wireless Communications Business Unit, said:
You could say the MediaTek Dimensity 8000 series is the little brother to our flagship Dimensity 9000 chip. Meaning it brings flagship grade features and next level energy efficiency to the premium smartphone market.
Both chips combine an Arm Mali-G610 MC6 GPU with MediaTek’s HyperEngine 5.0 gaming technologies. The combination promises to deliver a high level of power efficiency that, in turn, extends playtime while still offering best-in-class frame rates. The Dimensity 8100 offers 170fps, while the Dimensity 8000 offers 140fps; both also feature quad-channel LPDDR5 memory and UFS 3.1 storage to ensure ultra-fast data streams.
Additional features include:
- The use of MediaTek’s Open Resource Architecture to give device makers the flexibility to customize and differentiate features so they can make 5G smartphones and 5G experiences that truly stand out
- Integration of MediaTek’s fifth-generation AI processing unit, APU 580 – It delivers the most power-efficient performance in its class. The balance of performance and efficiency optimizes AI multimedia, gaming, camera, and video experiences
- A five gigapixel per second image signal processor (ISP) to produce the fastest, clearest HDR photos and video in its class.
- Support for up to 200MP cameras and 4K60 HDR10+ videography
- MediaTek’s latest noise reduction and AI-based unblur techniques in extreme low-light environments for crisp shots with enhanced details
- Simultaneous dual-camera HDR video recording – Users can record with the front and rear cameras or two different rear lenses – for example, wide + tele – at the same time
- Leading 3GPP R16-ready 5G modem to boost sub-6GHz performance using 2CC Carrier Aggregation.
- MediaTek’s 5G UltraSave 2.0 power-saving enhancement suite for improved efficiency
- Support for Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3 for seamless coexistence of Wi-Fi connectivity and Bluetooth peripherals
As Avi Greengart, President of the market advisory firm Techsponential observed:
MediaTek’s big bet on 5G dramatically expanded its global smartphone SoC volumes in the mid-tier, and the Dimensity 9000 is opening up the flagship market. With the Dimensity 8000, MediaTek is giving smartphone vendors more options to balance performance and pricing while still offering flagship-level gaming and AI capabilities.