Back in the early Fall of 2010, Ossian Studios released the first screens and information for their in-progress iOS RPG called ‘The Shadow Sun’. Ossian was already known to RPG fans as the studio formed by ex-Bioware producer Alan Miranda, which had created some of the best third-party content for Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2. In short, these guys know their stuff, and they put forth their mission – the “ultimate goal of creating a top-quality PC/console RPG experience on iOS.”
Since then there has been little news other than delays and removal of a specific time frame for release, and no new media since those initial screens. But today we get great news – a revamped web page for the game, new info, a bunch of screens – and a release date of ‘Summer 2013′!
Here is the basic description of what to expect:
The Shadow Sun is a dark, heroic fantasy RPG that combines the classic adventure of Dungeons & Dragons, the fear of otherworldly horrors of H.P. Lovecraft, and the grim sword and sorcery of Conan the Barbarian. Rendered in full 3D graphics using the Unity engine, the game offers a deep, single-player role-playing experience with a gripping story, important player choices, dynamic NPC dialogues, and multiple ways of solving quests. Do battle against the strange creatures native to Shar and unspeakable horrors not of this world in real-time, visceral combat like The Witcher 2, using a dozen different weapon types, special melee attacks, powerful magical spells, and deadly traps.
Here are some of the features to expect in the game:
* A full 3D Western RPG with a complex story and characters.
* A 10-15 hour campaign
* Gorgeous graphics using the Unity engine, including normal/specular mapping and dynamic lighting on the characters, as well as anti-aliasing and bloom.
* Create your own male or female character and customize them with different appearances.
* Ally with one of four companions to adventure alongside you, each with their own personality, abilities, and romance options, and gain their approval or disapproval on your actions.
* A striking and compelling orchestral music score by long-time Ossian composer, David John.
* Includes Apple Game Center support.
* A universal app for iPhone (3GS and up), iPod touch (3rd gen and up), and iPad (1st gen and up), with Retina display support. Graphics will scale with device.
You can get even more info at the official Shadow Sun site. But for now, enjoy these screens and keep your eyes on Gear Diary for more news and information as the release date approaches!