As noted before, this morning we heard from Samsung that they have coordinated with all five major U.S. carriers to bring the massive Samsung Galaxy Note II to market; now Sprint has followed up and announced that they will be launching the 16GB version of the device later this fall on their ‘Truly Unlimited’ network!
The Galaxy Note 2 is the successor to the popular ‘phablet’ that was huge for a phone but small for a tablet yet found a solid global audience. The new version increases the screen size to 5.5 inches (from 5.3), has full 4G LTE support, quad-core Exynos processor, and a 16×9 aspect ratio that makes the screen narrower but taller. The device runs Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, but is heavily layered with TouchWiz and S-Pen applications.
Here are some of the key features:
GALAXY Note II features an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera and 1.9 megapixel front-facing camera with HD video recording. The camera’s powerful features include Buddy Photo Share, Burst Shot and Best Photo that were introduced on GALAXY S III earlier in June. Additional features include:
• Popup Note extends the concept of Popup Play letting users open an S Note instantly as a pop-up window anywhere on the screen.
• Quick Command, a new gesture pad feature, lets users quickly activate frequently used apps with the S Pen. The command pad appears when a user just swipes upward on the screen with the S Pen button pressed. Users can quickly send an email, make a call or search a location as they draw preregistered marks on the command pad or register a unique mark to allow for quick and easy access.
• Best Faces camera function allows users to choose the most preferred face or pose of each person from group portrait photos. Users can also personalize photos by leaving handwritten notes on the backside of a photo using the S Pen. Handwritten Photo Notes can be shared with others in jpg format.
• Screen Recorder allows users to share their experiences with others quickly and easily.
• S Beam allows users to tap the back of GALAXY Note II against another S-Beam-enabled device to share large video files and documents via NFC and Wi-Fi Direct™ without using data service.
• Share Shot seamlessly shares pictures taken with GALAXY Note II’s 8- megapixel camera to other phones from up to 200 feet away.
• Idea Sketch allows users to easily add illustrations by handwriting keywords on the S Note.
• Sprint Professional Grade and Samsung SAFE to help ensure that businesses have the security and control they require to protect the enterprise.
• Long-lasting 3,100mAh battery.
• 16GB internal memory (ROM) and 2GB (RAM) microSD™ card slot supporting up to 64GB.
• International voice and data capable with GSM/UMTS/CDMA networks.
It is a great looking device that will be in high demand!
At the same time, Sprint CEO Dan Hesse announced that they have now sold more than 1 Million 4G LTE devices! Great milestone!
Here is the press release regarding the Galaxy Note II:
Sprint (NYSE:S), the only national carrier with Truly Unlimited? 4G LTE data, text and calling to any mobile, is gearing up to offer Samsung GALAXY Note® II. This innovative device will be available on the Sprint 4G LTE network (available in select markets) this fall in two color options – Marble White or Titanium Gray. Pricing and the availability date will be provided later.
Manufactured by Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC (Samsung Mobile) – the No.1 mobile phone provider in the United States1, GALAXY Note II will boast several firsts for Sprint – first to launch with Android™ 4.1, Jelly Bean; first smartphone display larger than 5 inches; and first device to launch with a quad-core processor.
“We are very excited to bring this unique and innovative device into the Sprint lineup with the benefit of Sprint’s Truly Unlimited data plans,” said Fared Adib, Sprint vice president-Product Development. “Sprint’s unlimited data plans are the perfect match for GALAXY Note II because our customers can enjoy the huge screen, fast LTE support and other creative features without worrying about costly overages or sharing data.”
With the latest HD Super AMOLED™ screen technology powering the device’s 5.5-inch 720p display, images are bigger, clearer and brighter than ever. Performance and power are built- in on GALAXY Note II, thanks to Samsung’s Exynos™ 1.6GHz quad-core processor, a long-lasting battery and blazing fast 4G/LTE network speeds.
Clever and Unique Features
GALAXY Note II comes with a new, built-in S Pen™ that is longer, thicker and ergonomically designed for the perfect grip. Its advanced features also provide enhanced capabilities to capture ideas and inspirations instantly and to combine handwriting with any digital content directly on the screen.
Selecting and cropping text, images or other content on GALAXY Note II with the S Pen is very similar to a traditional “click-mouse” experience. When the S Pen’s side button is pressed down, users can draw precise lines around the content to be cropped out, highlighted or copied into another application.
With Air View, users can hover the S Pen over an email, image gallery, or video to preview the content without having to open it. This feature also enables users to launch a pop-up web browser or access an enlarged preview of website content without opening the full site.
The Easy Clip feature allows users to instantly outline and crop any content on the screen in any shape to save, share or paste. Once done cropping the image, users can freely edit the cropped content through coloring, shading or their own personal handwriting.
Enjoy Data Without Limits
GALAXY Note II requires activation on one of the Sprint Everything Data plans starting at just $79.99 per month (taxes and fees excluded) with Truly Unlimited data, text and calling to any mobile. No throttling, no metering and no overages, all while on the Sprint network. With Sprint’s Everything Data and other plans that include Truly Unlimited data, Sprint is continuing its history of data leadership by making it easy for its customers to use data in all the ways that are useful to them, such as news, email, music, TV and GPS navigation, without worrying about data overages on their monthly bill.