To be honest, it is increasingly tough to impress Judie and me when it comes to audio products. It’s not that we have such discerning ears (although we do… lol) but that we have been privileged to listen to some amazing headphones and speakers in recent years. That noted, RHA more than impressed Judie during her visit with them.
Judie took a listen to the company’s first portable DAC and headphone amplifier, the Dacamp L1, as well as the high-resolution in-ear CL1 Ceramic headphones. The CL1 Ceramic headphones are the company’s flagship offering coming in at $449.95. The Dacamp L1 is a first for them and is $549.95; the combination of the two products blew Judie away. When describing them she told me:
The audio experience of listening through those headphones with the amp was one of the best I’ve ever had. The sound was incredibly rich and full, with perfect balance and tone, and I was able to tweak and adjust the gain and EQ dials to really dial in what sounded most incredible to me. It’s a level of custom sound that I had not previously experienced.
That’s a ringing endorsement if I’ve ever heard one. (There is also a more affordable stainless steel CL750 at $159.95.) Lewis Heath, RHA Product Director has this to say about the new offerings.
This new collection has been developed for users who demand more from personal audio, our goal being to replicate full high-resolution experiences on the go. Launching a brand new, specialist range of products that represent our commitment to innovation in technology, design and manufacturing is the perfect way to mark the [milestone] anniversary of the company’s founding.
Here’s a deeper dig into each of the three products.
The Dacamp L1
The Dacamp L1 is a fully balanced headphone amplifier and digital-to-analogue converter (DAC) with dedicated channel processors. This is a new category for RHA and it would seem they knocked it out of the park.
The Dacamp L1 uses an ES9018K2M DAC chip and class AB amplifier. As they explain, “This configuration is capable of processing the highest quality digital audio files – up to 32-bit/384kHz PCM and Quad DSD – from mobile and desktop source devices.” Moreover, in order to improve clarity, accuracy and imaging, the Dacamp L1 separates the two stereo channels and then processes them individually. This, in turn, eliminates the risk of interference or distortion.
The Dacamp L1 Features:
- Dual ESS Sabre ES9018K2M DACs & class AB amplifiers
- Support for high-resolution audio formats up to 32-bit/384kHz PCM and 11.2MHz DSD
- Headphone outputs: 4-pin Mini XLR (balanced), 3.5mm
- Digital inputs: USB A, USB micro-B, mini-TOSLINK (optical)
- Compatibility: Mobile and desktop devices including Android, PC, Mac, iOS (MFi certified)
- 4000mAh Li-ion battery for 10 hour battery life with power pack function
- Three level gain control and EQ dials for bass/treble attenuation.
The CL1 Ceramic
The CL1 Ceramic is RHA’s first in-ear headphone to:
make use of a dual driver configuration, pairing the CL Dynamic with a unique ceramic plate driver, specifically designed to produce pure, clear harmonics above 8kHz.” The ergonomic housing are injection moulded using a high-density ceramic compound with low acoustic resonance. Detachable cables with fully moldable over-ear hooks provide comfort and noise isolation.
The CL1 Ceramics feature:
- High-resolution, dual transducer configuration: CL Dynamic and ceramic plate driver
- High-density, injection moulded ZrO2 ceramic housings
- Custom detachable cable system (sMMCX)
- Braided Ag4x silver-core (4-pin Mini XLR) and OFC (3.5mm/6.35mm) cables included
- Moldable, comfort-enhancing over-ear hooks
- Accessories: 11 pairs of silicone and Comply Foam ear tips, clothing clip, protector case and cleaning cloth.
It is worth noting that the CL1 were designed for use with headphone amplifiers or high powered DAPs and smartphones, hence the pairing with the Dacamp L1.
Last year I got a taste of high-end in-ear monitors and these look absolutely amazing. #CRAVE
Finally, the more affordable CL750 draw inspiration from the critically acclaimed MA750. It uses stainless steel housings in RHA’s Aerophonic design, has a braided, channel insulated oxygen-free copper cable and have flexible ear hooks to secure wearing comfort.
The CL750 feature:
- Ultra-wideband CL Dynamic transducer
- Stainless steel driver housings in Aerophonic design
- Braided OFC cable with 3.5mm connection
- Flexible over-ear hooks
- Accessories: 11 pairs of silicone and Comply Foam ear tips, clothing clip and protector case.
We’ve been reviewing RHA products for some time now, and have always been impressed. These new offerings however take things to an entirely new level of awesome. We can’t wait to have them in hand and offer a full review here on the site.