“Why,” many people asked after purchasing their first iPhone, “should I carry a small, point and shoot camera when my phone does an excellent job taking pictures on the go?” As iPhone cameras improved, stand-alone cameras have increasingly moved toward obsolescence. Now, thanks to olloclip’s new offerings for the iPhone X, your iPhone is a better camera than ever before!
The iPhone X came out last fall, but it has taken until now for olloclip, initially a Kickstarter project, to bring lenses to market for it.
It was worth the wait. I have one of their new Mobile Photography Box Sets in hand and will be doing a full review. For now, however, let’s take a look at the all-new olloclip lens system for iPhone X the company announced this morning.
The new olloclip Mobile Photography Box Set for iPhone X features a Fisheye and 15X Macro lens on one side and a Super-Wide lens on the other.
Available at a retail price of $99.99, the system is a single unit with a lens system on each side.
In the kit are the lens unit and a keyring.
It doubles as an iPhone stand.
The unit clips over the corner of the iPhone. The lenses can be used with both the front and rear cameras. As they explain:
The all-new Mobile Photography Box Set for iPhone X delivers unmatched image quality, user experience and versatility. Fisheye, Super-Wide and Macro 15x lenses are combined to offer a diverse range of options to shoot wider and closer than ever before possible with your iPhone. The patent pending lens system intuitively aligns with your iPhone’s front and rear cameras, and it expands to work with nearly all screen protectors.
Of course, since the lens system clips over the iPhone, you’ll either have to remove the case you are using or, pick up one of the new olloclip slim cases for iPhone X. The case will have an MSRP of $29.99.
The advantage of the system olloclip adopted for the iPhone X is that you get three lenses in one and, depending on the arrangement you choose, each lens can be paired with either both the front and rear cameras. It takes a few minutes to become familiar with the system- at times the lends needs to be removed from the system’s “frame” and flipped around, so it aligns properly with the camera- but, after few minutes it will become second nature.
The new Box Set for iPhone X features:
- Three premium multi-element coated glass lenses deliver superior image quality
- Fisheye: Unique 180° spherical effect
- Super-Wide: 4-element lens with over 120-degree field of view
- Macro 15x: 15x magnification for the ultimate close-up
- Easy-to-use, patented system attaches and aligns instantly with no extra parts needed
- Selfie-ready to work seamlessly on both front and rear-facing cameras
- Connect X interchangeable lens system for creating the perfect set to match your adventure
- Expanding mount is compatible with all screen protectors
- Pendant Stand keeps the lens accessible and opens to create a pocket-sized tripod
- Works with all camera apps and is even great for video, time-lapse, panoramas and 360° VR photos
- Included in the box: Super-Wide, Fisheye and Macro 15x lenses, iPhone X clip + Pendant Stand, lens caps, microfiber cloth
And while I’ll post a full review shortly, here’s a look at the company’s promotional images and the impact the lens system can have on your iPhoneography.
Here’s an image with and without the super-wide lens.
And here’s an image with and without the fish-eye lens.
Finally, here’s an image that was taken with and without the macro lens.
As you can see, the new olloclip box set can have a huge impact on the pictures you take. Best of all, since the kit comes with a keyring, you can keep it with you at all times.
In addition to the new Box Set, olloclip has, among other things, also announced a 2X telephoto lens for $59.99 and an Ultra-Wide lens for $44.95.
You can check them all out here. Keep an eye out for our full review in the coming days.