If you’re a regular reader of Gear Diary, you might find the name MediaTek vaguely familiar. It’s ok if you don’t, though; they’re one of those companies that operate quietly behind the scenes. Their logo may not be splashed all over your phone, but chances are they’re providing some important connectivity options for you. If your next phone has a MediaTek Dimensity 900 5G SoC, you’re definitely going to enjoy the experience!
You might be shrugging and wondering why you should care so much about the chipset in your phone, but it matters for a few reasons. The MediaTek Dimensity 900 5G SoC (System on a Chip) is designed to bring a few big benefits: first, you’re getting faster and smoother 4K HD recording, then you’re getting more efficient 5G connections, and finally, the battery life is improved over prior chipsets.
The reality is that we’re continuing to do more with our phones and we’re demanding more power, more efficiency, and longer battery life without giving up thin and light designs. That’s a tall order and one that MediaTek is consistently stepping up to achieve.
Here’s the official list of what to expect from the new MediaTek Dimensity 900 5G SoC:
- MediaTek’s Imagiq 5.0: The chipset integrates a flagship-class, HDR-native image signal processor (ISP) and incorporates a unique hardware-accelerated 4K HDR video recording engine. This supports up to four concurrent cameras and up to 108MP sensors.
- MediaTek’s MiraVision: The chipset packs upgraded video capabilities from a standard dynamic range (SDR) to HDR with real-time enhancements of HDR10+ video playback to improve color and contrast of content.
- Premium AI-Camera Enhancements: Smartphones powered by the Dimensity 900 will capture every detail with support for up to 108MP cameras with 32M at 30fps and multi-camera options such as 20+20MP. The chipset integrates our AI processing unit with ultra-efficient INT8, INT16 and accurate FP16 capabilities to deliver premium and super precise AI-camera results.
- Advanced Connectivity: Dimensity 900 supports dual-SIM 5G standby function, 5G SA/NSA networking and dual-SIM VoNR voice services. This chipset integrates 2×2 MIMO Wi-Fi 6 connection, Bluetooth 5.2 and GNSS.
- Smooth Gaming: Dimensity 900 supports MediaTek’s HyperEngine gaming engine. Advanced uninterrupted call technology supports gaming and dual-SIM calls at the same time, along with the 5G high-speed rail and super hotspot game modes.
Next time you’re looking for a new phone, check out the internal specifications. If you notice a MediaTek Dimensity 900 5G SoC in it, you’ll know you’re getting a powerful engine for all your on-the-go needs!