For those of you not fortunate enough to be taking advantage of the latest automotive technology whilst behind the wheel, online sites and blogs are offering their advice on how to squeeze as much value out of a gallon of fuel as possible, be that by recommending to combine trips and map out the shortest route prior to cranking the engine, or by directing you to the lowest price of fuel for that day.
And do not forget that hauling around extra weight just adds to decreased fuel economy so get rid of excessive “junk in your trunk” and see your gas dollar stretch a bit further.
Some, including TrueCar.com below, recommend apps for your smartphone to assist in these endeavors:
As gas prices continue to stay steady or rise, TrueCar.com, the authority on new car pricing, trends and forecasting, is helping consumers curb some of the pain being felt at the pump by providing a list of helpful mobile applications available on the iPhone and/or Android in “Ten Apps for Saving Money on Gas.”
“These phone applications put savings right in the palm of consumers’ hands,” said Brandy Schaffels, Senior Editor at TrueCar.com. “From finding nearby gas stations with the lowest price, tracking fuel usage and even helping locate carpool buddies, these mobile phone applications can help save money for consumers.”
Some of the best mobile apps available to save money on gas include:
• GasBuddy: This application maps or lists gas stations in your current area and can be sorted by distance or price. The cost is free and is available on both the iPhone operating system iOS3.0 or later and the Android 1.5 and up.
• iGasUp: Provides real-time pricing data on 110,000 gas stations from credit card transactions. When you start the application, the ten cheapest gas stations are provided closest to your location, based on price. The application is $0.99 and is compatible with the iPhone iOS2.2.1 or later.
• Waze: Want real-time traffic updates, keeping you from slowing down or idling in traffic? This user-generated data allows users to report traffic jams, accidents, police traps and more. The cost is free and is compatible with iPhone iOS3.0.0 or later.
• Route4me: This application optimizes your route when traveling to multiple destinations to find the best route to your destinations, allowing for 25 to 35 percent better optimized directions. This application is free and available on the iPhone iOS 3.2 or later.
• Carticipate: Carpooling is another way to help you save on gasoline costs. This application enables ride sharing within your network of family, friends and co-workers and matches you to locals going your way. This application is free and compatible with iPhone IOS 3.1.2 or later and also available on Facebook.
For apps to help you save on gas money, visit “at the TrueCar.com Truth Blog.