Last year Magellan introduced the SMART-GPS system, which integrated smartphone and web apps to provide traditional in-car GPS and the now familiar mobile GPS experience. My personal experience was mixed, but the attempt was well thought out and a bold step. Now they are back as Magellan Announces New RoadMate Auto & RV Product Lines at CES 2014!
To get more details on any of these new products, head to MagellanGPS.com.
Magellan To Introduce RoadMate PND With Integrated Dashcam
The first new product from Magellan integrates a standard GPS with a dashboard camera, in the model 6230T-LM PND DashCam. We have seen dash cams capturing accidents, tragedies, meteors, and other things, but they are not wide-spread in the US.
“Our new RoadMate PND with dashcam not only gets drivers to their destination, it also provides recorded evidence of the drive,” said Stig Pedersen, associate vice president product management Magellan. “The PND portion of the unit is loaded with well-known Magellan features, such as landmark guidance, PhantomALERT, junction view, and free lifetime traffic and map updates. At the same time, its dashcam will record traffic events to provide a video record that helps prevent confusion in an accident.”
In addition to the flexibility provided by the combined built-in PND/GPS technology and DVR (Digital Video Recorder) capabilities of the dashcam, the unit also can handle a wireless back-up camera. The RoadMate 6230T-LM can display either where they are headed on the PND map, or what the live camera feed(s) immediately ahead or behind them are showing.
The dash cam has a ‘G-Sensor’ that will start recording when any sharp braking, rapid acceleration, excessive cornering, or sudden impact occurs, recording what is taking place.
Magellan RoadMate PND with DashCam will be available in April 2014 with an MSRP of $229.99.
Magellan Introduces New 7-inch RV Caddy Navigator To Enrich The Freedom Of RVers at CES 2014
Also at CES, Magellan is introducing its new 7-inch RV GPS, the Magellan RoadMate RV9490T-LMB. The new model integrates the Magellan Cloud with a 7-inch screen and loads of features centered around the RVing life.
“Magellan’s ongoing innovation reflects our commitment to the RV community, who want more on-the-road information and a more enjoyable RVing journey,” said Stig Pedersen, associate vice president of product management for Magellan. “The RV9490T-LMB features customizable routes per your RV profile, pre-loaded RV specific points of interest (POI) such as the Good Sam Campground Directory, RV Dump stations, real-time weather information and alerts, the cheapest fuel locations, plus premium safety features that optimize your RVing experience.”
The Magellan RoadMate RV9490T-LMB features a high sensitivity touch panel, a brighter and clearer screen, and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity. This allows for the real-time display of weather and fuel price information and gives users the freedom to choose how they connect, when they connect and what they want to download.
RV Specific Features include:
– Vehicle Profile – Customizable RV routes based on your vehicle type, dimensions and additional driving preferences to avoid low and narrow bridges, unpaved roads and more.
– Pre-loaded RV specific Points of Interest – provides a one-stop RV resource for every aspect of your RVing experience, including:
– Good Sam RV Travel Guide & Campground Directory
– RV Dump Station POIs
– Walmart location POIs
– Fuel Station POIs – Easily locate diesel or gas fuel stations while on the road.
– Geotag Navigation – No address needed! Simply input Geotag (Latitude / Longitude) information and navigate to your desired location.
RV Safe Navigation Tools
– Dedicated Virtual Dashboard – On the road trip information including Speed Limit, Mile Marker, Direction, Grade, Elevation and other key metrics.
– More Alerts on the Road – Receive customizable alerts to manage your journey along your route.
– Speed Limit Warnings
– Speed Camera and Traffic Camera Alerts by PhantomALERT
– Yellow Warning Signs
– Toll plaza Alerts
– Free Real-Time Traffic Alerts – Avoid traffic jams and delays before you are in them.
– Junction View and Lane Assist – Realistic images of freeway signs and arrows guide you to the correct lane to make driving easier, safer and less stressful.
– Landmark Guidance – Conveniently receive directions using landmarks as your guide, for example you might hear “in 300ft, turn right at the Shell Station,” making it a more intuitive way to navigate.
– Next Two-Turn visibility – Be prepared when approaching the next turning location with valuable information about which lane to stay in or enter.
There are loads of other features available, and the RoadMate RV9490T-LMB will be available in the second quarter of this year an MSRP of $349.99.
Magellan Announces New RoadMate Automotive PND Product Line Featuring EasyTouch Screens and Android OS at CES 2014
Finally, Magellan introduced a new like of RoadMate Personal Navigation Device (PND) units that will feature EasyTouch touch screens and run the Android OS for what they are calling a ‘more powerful navigation experience’. The first GPS in the product line will be shown at CES, is the the 5″ 5430T-LM with traffic and lifetime maps.
“These new models will have the advantage of the Android operating system’s superior handling of navigation data and Magellan’s record of proven safety and performance,” commented Stig Pedersen, associate vice president of product management at Magellan. “Also, commonly found on smartphones and tablets, capacitive touch screens on PND units were previously offered only in the highest price ranges, but the Magellan RoadMate line now offers it at an affordable price.”
With their Android driven touch screens, the new RoadMate PND units with EasyTouch screens are more user responsive. The screens react to even the softest of finger touches, giving the user a more enjoyable experience and the security knowing they are buying a product that is easy to use. Users will be touch communicating with Magellan’s most advanced navigation user interface to date, introduced in 2013 on premium SmartGPS units.
The Magellan RoadMate 5430T-LM will be available starting in the first quarter of 2014 with an MSRP of $179.99.