I’ve long been a fan of V-MODA headphones, so I’m excited to report that they have just announced their first Bluetooth active noise-canceling headphones, the V-MODA M-200 ANC. Working in tandem with the new V-MODA app, listeners will be able to personalize their M-200 ANC noise cancellation level and their sound with EQ presets.
V-MODA headphones have always sounded great; they offer thumpy bass, clear mids, and crisp highs. And while I’ve been impressed with their in-ear offerings, their over-the-ear models have long been my favorites; I’m not the only one.
Last January we were on a cruise. I walked around with my black V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless headphones, and I noticed the DJ in the main area using the Crossfade M-100 Master headphones. We talked, and he said that there were no other headphones he uses for work and enjoyment.
First, Some V-Moda Updates
Over the past two years, the company has gone through some transitions. They were acquired by Roland and are now a wholly-owned subsidiary of that renowned audio company. As Roland’s CEO Jun-ichi Miki, CEO noted at the time:
We’re pleased V-MODA has joined the Roland family of brands,V-MODA revolutionized headphones and has pushed the envelope of personalization. Their timeless design, meticulous research into quality materials and a strong heritage rooted in the professional DJ and artist scene are, along with their loyal customers, incredible assets for Roland. It’s an exciting time for both companies, and we are eager for the talent at V-MODA and Roland to collaborate. This new team and the audience they are dedicated to building for will definitely inspire the future of music.
To accomplish this, V-MODA has done a bit of rebranding. They have a new logo…
And they have the new tagline, “Stylish sound, your way.” Of course, the stylish sound not only refers to the amazing tuning of V-MODA headphones, but it is also a reference to their styling and the custom face shields that are available for their headphones.
The rebranding was only a small part of the V-MODA presentation that I attended virtually for this year’s CES. The big news, of course, was the announcement of the new V-MODA M-200 ANC headphones. I’ve been eagerly awaiting the release of a pair of V-MODA over-the-ear headphones with ANC, and they are finally here.
The V-MODA M-200 ANC Headphones
The V-MODA M-200 ANC headphones carry a steep price tag of $499.99. That’s pretty high but think about it this way; the V-MODA M-200 ANC is $50 LESS than the Apple AirPod Max!
The new headphones will ship with a protective case that, for the first time, departs from V-MODA’s signature black leather clamshell, the headphones, an audio-only cable, and a flight adapter. For some reason, they did not include either a one- or three-button cable. As the product page indicates, the company does offer additional cables, but they are an additional purchase. These include:
- BoomPro Microphone: ensures crystal clear communication and a next-level gaming experience
- SpeakEasy 1-Button Mic Cable: for crystal-clear calls when life takes you places
- Speakeasy DAC/AMP Lightning Cable: allows for studio-quality sound from your iOS devices without the 3.5mm headphone jack
The V-MODA M-200 ANC headphones appear to have slightly softer lines than we have seen on previous models. They look lovely, but it’s a bit jarring for those of us who have been with the company from the beginning. I asked about this and was told that they do indeed have a slightly softer design. Also, they explained a few changes that had been made to increase comfort. For example, the M-200 headphones have slightly less clamping force than previous models, and, for the first time, the earcups are made from memory foam. I’ve always found V-MODA headphones comfortable, and I am looking forward to seeing how these changes impact the experience.
Inside the headphones, there are 40mm, drivers with a frequency response of 5-40,000 Hz. They have Bluetooth 5.0 and audiophile-grade codexes like Qualcomm aptX HD and AAC. I’ve always loved how V-MODA headphones are tuned and hope they maintained the same sound profile as in the past.
The V-MODA M-200 ANC headphones have a USB-C port for recharging which delivers up to 20 hours of playback per charge, and the headphones can be fully charged in as little as 90 minutes.
The ANC in the headphones can be set to ten different noise cancellation levels when used in conjunction with a free companion app. The app also allows users to adjust the EQ. This is the first for V-MODA, and I’m excited to see and hear it in action.
Finally, it is worth noting that the V-MODA M-200 ANC headphones features a new function called “Voice In.” By placing a hand over the left earcup, you can automatically pause the music and turn off the ANC so you can be better aware of your surroundings. I am looking forward to seeing how this works in the real world.
- Award-winning sound at your command: Cut through the commotion of modern life with hybrid active noise cancellation (ANC) and audio quality a sound engineer would be proud of. Tuned by Roland for the optimal everyday listening experience based on the award-winning M-200, expect nothing but the best of your music, calls, and podcasts, with unparalleled clarity to power you through your day-to-day.
- Cutting-edge control at your fingertips: Fully customize your audio experience with the V-MODA app, using the EQ tool to create the perfect sound signature for whatever you’re listening to, and the ANC controls to choose the level of active noise cancellation to suit your surroundings (10 levels available).
- Sounds personal, looks personal: Unleash your creativity on an extensive canvas to customize your look. Endorse Yourself with custom full color or laser engraved shields: with a variety of new aluminum shield colors and the ability to upload and print your own designs, make M-200 ANC completely yours.
- Wireless flexibility, for 9 to 5 and beyond: Experience a smooth yet strong wireless connection for 20 hours on a single charge with Bluetooth 5.0 and audiophile-grade audio codecs like Qualcomm aptX HD and AAC. Never feel tethered to your device again, with multi-device pairing making it simple to switch from your laptop to smartphone and back again.
- Smart controls that put you in the driver’s seat: Feel life flow a little more seamlessly with intuitive controls to play and pause audio, adjust volume, and accept and close calls, all without touching your device. Take calls or activate your voice assistant thanks to the state of the art microphone built into the earcup, and discover a design that simplifies your life.
- Crafted for all-day comfort: Crafted for unparalleled comfort and durability, the strong yet flexible core meets a broad headband design for improved weight distribution and hours on end of pure comfort. Large ear cups, high-quality PU leather, and replaceable magnetic memory foam cushions complete the M-200 ANC’s incredibly comfortable design to make it perfect for ‘all day, everyday’ wear.
- Voice In: Need to let the outside world in for just a second but don’t want to break your rhythm? M-200 ANC’s “Voice In” smart feature was made for that: cover the left earcup to lower the volume of whatever you’re listening to and pause the ANC for moments that require your attention.
- It’s the whole package: Pack up and protect your headphone via the CliqFold hinge, folding the M-200 ANC into the re-designed Exoskeleton case included. Featuring smooth lines and space to include accessories, all you have to do is clip it to your bag with the carabiner clip to travel safe and sound.
V-MODA has always impressed us, and I have no doubt their first ANC headphones will as well. You can learn more about the V-MODA M-200 ANC headphones here.